Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:59 PM   #11

And, whenever there's movement, you can set your camera to low speeds to have this movement effect - IF that's what you want. In this pic I didn't have much of a choice -at ISO 200, with f2.8- but sometimes you can choose.
Attached Images

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:15 PM   #12

Good photos and tips
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:04 PM   #13

Thank you for all your tips and pictures.

I know there isn't a standard setting you can use for every show, but it's usefull to have some good tips on settings. I usually use the support act to see what the lights are doing and what settings I need to use because of the distance to the stage. You'll need to adjust the settings a bit when the main act starts but you'll have the major things set and are ready to go.

I always use burst, just to get those special expressions or mistakes that happen on stage. When I do a few shows in a row I have a hard drive with me (actually my mp3 player) which I can connect directly to my camera and transfer the pictures after the show. That way I always have enough space on my memory cards and don't have to look at the pictures during the show. I'll sort them when I get back home.

The drummer always seems to be looking another way or hiding behind his kit when I take a picture. Usually the lights are not perfectly set on the kit either so the pix are dark or blurry. Facial expression is priceless, guitar players are great facial expression makers too.

In the end it all comes down to getting more and more experienced and knowing how your camera works.
mirdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:13 PM   #14

Something else I was going to mention... if you can get close and there's a little bit of light available, you can use your flash + a slow speed to have that "doubled" effect.

And sorry, what is "the support act"?
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:15 PM   #15

Now, those pics look MUCH BETTER resized, due to noise problems. Take the following image, for example:
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:18 PM   #16

And here's an unedited crop, at full size. So, as you can see, (at least with the FZ10), Stay away from ISO 400!!!

BTW, how do you post more than one pic at a time? If I edit my post to add one, I erase the previous pic.
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:49 PM   #17

The support act is the bands/artists that starts before the main bands/artists It's a band or artist that warms up the crowd before the actual artist comes on stage. Perfect to practise your settings on. The bigger bands like U2, Rolling Stones and Bon Jovi use these bands/artists to open for them, these can vary from local bands/artists to more popular bands/artists.

Are you actually saying that 200 ISO is better as 400 ISO??
mirdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:55 PM   #18

Ok, now I get it for the support act, ty. :-)

About ISO settings: I won't say ISO 200 is better than ISO 400, the higher the number the most sensitive the camera becomes to light, allowing you to set faster speeds or higher f numbers. BUT higher ISO also = more noise, and, specially in cameras with (relatively?) small sensors, (Our Lumixes) than can bother a lot. That is precisely my doubt about the new FZ30, with 8 Mp...

Now, my pic was taken (see all the noise?) with an FZ10, and I understand your (newer) FZ5 has a better noise-reduction system. But I also understand It has 5Mp in a sensor which is the same size or smaller (the camera itself is smaller than the FZ10, I think?); so that could create more noiseand balance...

My point was, if you use higher ISO you end up with more noise, which can bother, specially at higher sizes. For instance, this pics looks good:
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:59 PM   #19

...BUT, it was resized from 2304x1728, adn I also used a noise-reduction software on it. Now, when you look at an unedited crop from the original pic, you start to fear the 400 ISO (in the Lumix DMC-FZ10S, that is)

(How do I attach 2 pics in the same post?????)

The crop:
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:39 AM   #20

No doubt, noise reduction software is a must when using the 400 ISO setting on the Lumix line of cameras. I use a free download called noiseware. I also use a free picture editing program called Irfan View. If you google them, you`ll find them. Irfan View really is very handy as it allows me to resize, crop, thumbnail, and "tweek" the coolers. It also has a host of other utilities built in, but the above features are the ones that I most typicaly use. The below pics are from a show that I went to the other week and all were adjusted with noiseware and slightly tweaked and cropped with Irfan View. I used mostly a ISO setting of 400, but the ones that I used a flash with were shoot with a ISO 200 setting. My shutter speed was between a 30th and a 60th of a second and the aperature seting was f2.8. Oh yeah, I used my fz20.
Attached Images

John H is offline   Reply With Quote