Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1

I've been an Olympus UZ C740 and C765 user for 3 years but after doing some research I bought the FZ5 last week. I'm going to a lot of concerts each year (both indoor and outdoor) and always take my camera with me. For the Olympus I used the sport setting and always got great shots. I've been talking to some friends and they recomment using the "S"hutter function with a shutter speed of 1/60 or 1/90 on the FZ5.

Is there anyone who has some experience with this camera at concerts and who can give me some advise on what the best settings would be?
mirdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2

Let me make this clear these are not my photos and they were taken with the FZ20 but the settings for the FZ5 should be the same and these have some exif imbedded so you should be able to get the Idea.

I may be off base but I never found sports mode to be worth a darn but that is only my opinion..If anything I would use aperture priority at the largest aperture available F3.3 and raise the ISO to at least 200 and maybe 400 for some shots and you will have a great Idea for the second concert.

And you should not have to raise the ISO for daylight concerts.

http://www.belgiumdigital.be/albums/...20/0507-Monza/
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

I should have included this link from the photographer as it has some more info

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14323329
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:07 AM   #4

Thank you for your answers, this definately helps me find the right settings.

I'm pretty new to the digital photography even though I've had 2 olympus camera's before. I used the sport setting coz at that time it seemed to get me the best pictures especially with an artist who doesn't stand still for 1 second. With these new settings I hope to be able to get even better pictures and in the end get more memories of the shows I've been too.
mirdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5

Please remember I said I do not find sports mode to be useful...it may fit your style of doing things much better than it fits mine.

But if you set the aperture at F3.3 the camera will give you the fastest shutterspeed possible for a good exposure.....whereas if you pick a fast shutterspeed it may not be possible you can not get the correct aperture.

But I would try a few different ways at the first concert and you should find what will work best for you.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:45 PM   #6

mirdj wrote:
Quote:
Is there anyone who has some experience with this camera at concerts and who can give me some advise on what the best settings would be?
I've been shooting with an FZ10 for a while, and I've had my share of concerts. What I would suggest you is, do not try to think of "the best settings" beforehand, but think in terms of light conditions and what you want to achieve. Also, experience will teach you a lot (and in digital, "experience" can mean review the photo you just took and take it again changing your camera setings). I use almost exclusively manual and Program (sometimes there's something happening and you just DO NOT have time to start adjusting the exposure - also in low light situations the EVF behaves as an obstacle when in manual mode). Now, in the FZ10 the A/S priority modes must be choosed from the menu, and I understand in the FZ5 can be selected in the dial. I'll post some pics and try to illustrate my points.

Sometimes it is really good to use the burst mode. The FZ10 has a little delay (I don't know about the FZ5) and the burst can help you to capture "the moment", or to pick the one you like best:

Attached Images

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:14 PM   #7

But keep in mind that using the burst mode can be addictive, so you can suddenly have a full memory card you'll have to check to delete some pics - while loosing others.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:21 PM   #8

I should add, all of the pics posted are resized, most of them cropped and edited a little (contrast, sharpness) with PhotoBase, a very basic program included with the FZ10.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:42 PM   #9

If you ask me, Drum players are the most difficult to get good shots of: they are behind all their paraphernalia, usually at the back of the stage (your 12x can help a lot there) and they tend to make the most awful expressions while playing. Burst helps with that also.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:50 PM   #10

If you can go up to the stage, you can try to find some different angles from which to shoot the drummer through his instrument, you'll have more variety of shots (another problem with drum players)
Attached Images