Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:35 PM   #1

Hi again
I have this very strange problem with my FZ20 camera

today I made some close up shots using TIFF mode and in two of them the camere hang-up after taking the shot (the mode i use was apperture priority F4, MF, spot focus - for the AF assistant). Pressing any key does not result in responce of the camera(preview, zoom ,expose,focus...) the LCD just updates when i move the camera but thats all, I had to turn it off -on to reset the camera.
I am using fast PQI SD(x133) and burst was not turned on.

Tonight i was trying to reporduce the "defect" but with no success.

Any ides what is wrong with the camera/memory card/ battery (they all new - less than a 2 weeks)

Any ideas are wellcome

Sorry for my bad eng (I am from bulgaria)

PS. I found a sollution for for the FZ5 tube problem - see my post about the fix if you are interested
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 8:07 PM   #2

TIFF files are large - typically 12-15Mb each, so even with a fast SD card, the FZ20 only writes at about 4MB/sec, so it could take several seconds for the camera to write a TIFF file to the card. if the camera "unfroze" after writing the file, it's probably normal. if it remained frozen for more than 10 seconds or so, you may have had some sort of glitch in the software. if it hasn't happened again, it's probably not hardware-related. have you tried with a different memory card?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:16 AM   #3

All I can say is that within the first or second week of using my FZ10 it also hung up, I couldn't ever turn it off with the switch and had to remove the battery. I was afraid it wouldn't work anymore, but it started working perfectly - until it hung up again, like... 4 months later? Anyway, I've had my FZ10 for about 15 months and only twice it has done that. I hope your FZ20 works just as well.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:37 AM   #4

10x for the answers

I can not change the SD memory card because I have only this 1GB PQI and the 16MB Panasonic - with it I can not make TIFF shot.
And it hang for more than 10 seconds. I think that the shot taken befor it hangs up does not exist into the memory card (I am not sure because i take some shots to one object when this happens). Maybe the procedure for "saving to the meomory card" does not returns and the camera thinks that it "still writes to the card". So I hope the problem is with the PQI memory card.
But this happense twice for less than 10 minutes. Tonight i switched to JPG and made more than 50 shots withot problem (no hang up)

sorry for my bad eng
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:59 PM   #5

I've always shot JPGs with my FZ20 and have never had a problem. Since TIFF takes so much memory, I prefer to shoot JPGs at the highest quality and resolution settings availale. When I get the images onto the computer I sometimes save copies of the best images as TIFFs since I've got lots more memory on my computer than on my memory card.

The difference between a JPG right out of the camera and a TIFF right out of the camera is insignificant. The problem with JPGs comes into play if you do multiple edits of the same image - they will eventually degrade in quality. If you are careful about saving new edits under new file names and leaving your original file intact you should not have any trouble working with JPGs. IMO, TIFF in the camera is not a great option: it's too slow and eats too much memory.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:30 PM   #6

Sunstorage, I don't know the reason for your problem but would suspect that the memory card may be incompatible. It would be good if you could try out a different one. However, I advise that you forget about tiff with the FZ20 and only use better quality jpg(fine). In common with several others I have not been able to demonstrate any advantage from tiff files in the FZ20 and that has included comparison at the pixel level using layers in difference blend mode. I don't think you will lose anything significant by sticking to fine jpg's and will gain a lot in operating convenience.

arrow
arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:02 PM   #7

i'm not sure if the memory card is the problem, but if the camera is having trouble trying to write the image file to memory, i can see where that would cause it to hang up. not a normal occurrence, obviously, but not unheard of, either. all memory cards are not the same; the formatmay be identical, but some manufacturers implement the flash memory algorithms differently, and not all are compatible.i have aLexar SD card that wokrs okay in my cameras, but will not work in my card reader. all my other cards (Panasonic, Kingmax, Dane, and Transcend) work perfectly.try another memory card from a different manufacturer, and see if you get the same result. wouldn't hurt to have a spare anyway... you can get 512MB cards for under $30 these days, and you really don't need that 1GB card unless you simply must use TIFF.if you have no problem using .JPG, it could be the card you're using just doesn't like the TIFF data from the FZ20.i see no reason to use TIFF anyway... i too have tried both formats and found no discernable advantage to using TIFF. it takes far more memory and doesn't produce better images, so why bother?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:56 PM   #8

10x a lot again
I will use only JPG format for a while and will post if there is a problem with it too. Maybe the problem is with the PQI card becaus it was very cheap (compared to the Kingmax and Trancedent). Here in bulgaria 512MB Kingmax is ~70$ (and the 1GB PQI is 74$).
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:40 AM   #9

Today I made 500 shots with the FZ20 (most of them with auto bracket) and the camera works fine (no hang-up). So I think the problem must be into the memory card and the size of the TIFF image.
I will post some of them later for your expert eyes
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:05 AM   #10

Never experienced this with mine, but I can only tell: don't use TIFF, there is really no need for it.

FZ20 produces a good amount of noise, but the best of the two compressions is fine and doesn't make it worse even if you'll examinate the pics at 300%.
Tiff is USELESS on FZ20 nearly as RAW on FZ30 (at least without a good converter).
You ll only loose space...

I use to edit jpgs and resave them (only once) at Photoshop compressions 9-10-11 (out of 12 levels) and the compression lev. 11 is slightly lower (thus better quality) than the one used by FZ20.
Mosto of the times I do not touch the original jpg and resize and PP a copy
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote