Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:13 AM   #1

I took a trip to the local Botanical Gardens. It used to be free and accepted donations, but I guess that business model wasn't working out too well...l

It was a bit late in the day, gloomy and overcast. The only light was what came through the glass walls and a few strings of Christmas lights, ideal conditions to test out the new camera.

I set the white balance to cloudy and took most of these shots at ISO 100, with the aperture open all the way and the shutter speed at 1/13. All the shots were taken hand held, but the stabilization did a very good job. The vast majority of the images taken at that speed had no noticeable blurring, even with significant zooming. When zoomed out I can sometimes get away with even slower speeds, especially by leaning on something or sitting.

None of these shots were underexposed, but I did some minor adjustments to a lot of them in Picasa. Mostly I just added some contrast, and on a few did some cropping and/or straightening.

[align=center]

[/align]
This tree had some creepy elves suspended from it:

[align=center]

[/align]

Those were my favorite shots of the day.

[align=center]

[/align]

When the sun started going down, I started using the flash on a lot of the pictures. I was pretty pleased with the way it looked. By adjusting it to a lighter setting, it hardly looks like a flash was used in some of these.

[align=center]

[/align]
I took a few pictures outside when I left. There were some Christmas lights, but this was the only shot that I liked.

[align=center]

[/align]
The Basilica that I photographed previously is visible from the front of the Gardens. It was dark out, but I thought I'd try taking a few pictures anyway.

[align=center]

[/align]

This was a 1/2 second shutter speed at ISO 80 at about 6x zoom. To get the shot without blur, I kneeled down, popped out the lcd with it facing upwards and rested it on my knee. It took 4 or 5 tries to get one that was clear enough.

It was easier to get a clear image by setting the ISO to 400 and turning up the speed, but it looked much uglier.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the way the camera performed. The lighting wasn't what I wanted, and I shared the camera with a friend of mine (who became very jealous) so I didn't have lots of time to experiment, but I still ended up with a decent number of good looking photos.

My friend is a photographic moron, but when I showed her some of the tools the camera has to make picture taking easy, she started producing some pretty good photos as well. I think the purple flower pictures were hers.

The only complaint I have is that I do wish the camera did better in low light without a flash. If ISO 400 looked as good as 1600 does on a DSLR this would be quite an extraordinary camera.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:31 PM   #2

All nice looking shots Corpsy! Even the color looks good for such a dark day! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:54 PM   #3

I also like the photos... thanks
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. I think these images help to illustrate some of the major strengths of the camera, for those who might still be doing research. Nearly all the images would make very clear 8x10 prints, except for a few that were at ISO 400. For the ones that were ISO 400, I'd probably have to show you a 100% crop for you to see the difference. Although it certainly increases the noise level, I find that as long as you get a good exposure the images are quite useable. ISO 400 is not good at long exposures however, I'd only use it for 1/13 and faster.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote