Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:49 AM   #11

another one.

this time can itbe slighty out of focus?

iso 80, F/4, 1/250

(PS: i had a +3 dipoter inexpensive lens on the camera this time).

still looking for other examples to try to see a pattern here.
Attached Images

dantept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:55 AM   #12

ok.. previous example was not very clear but i think this one is perfect for what i am trying to say.

look at this image... everything from background to the girl's hand, and the dog's mouth looks "painted".

Again, Iso 400 (auto i think again)... is this causing the problem??? this means iso 400 is almost useless...

the only time i set isomanually to400 is when i take night shots of the stars. Maybe i forgot to change it back to auto these 2 times but i doubt it.

Attached Images

dantept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:13 AM   #13

These are examples of Noise Reduction "Watercolor" effects.

I experience this too when Shutter speed is lower than c. 1/20 even if I have NR setting of my FZ20 permanently set to LOW-

It seems these cameras increase the NR in lower speeds and the pictures with flash , low light and high iso further deteliorate the whole result.

In some respects these cameras can nearly equal entry level dSLR, but in others they are still very far and maybe will always be.

Canon 350D @ ISO 1600 is better than FZ30 @ ISO 200 !
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:08 AM   #14

Ok, I found the pic and here's the crop, unedited (after being cropped, that is). Perhaps it's not the best example of noise in my FZ10, but it's a cat...

The cropped pic:
Attached Images

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:18 AM   #15

...and here's the original (resized+a litle sharpness+a tiny contrast in PhotoBase)

I happen to disagree with the "you shouldn't view the pics at 100%". I think this is the size you SHOULD view them at, otherwise you would be shooting at, let's say, 5Mp and reducing your pics to 4 so they look good - that's a 4Mp camera, not a 5Mp.
Attached Images

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:30 AM   #16

dantept wrote:
Quote:
Again, Iso 400 (auto i think again)... is this causing the problem??? this means iso 400 is almost useless...
True. iso400 is almost useless. But not totally useless. I still like the first photothough it needs to be larger. Obviously you want to keep the iso as low as possible in most instances to keep the noise and attendant noise reduction low. Ocassionally you will have to go with iso400. Use it and if the shot's no good, trash it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote