Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:20 PM   #1

I just got an FZ5 for Christmas and the manual says not to shoot with the lens hood in the stored position. Looking at the movement of the lens on power up and during the zoom process, I can't see how it makes a difference. Is this a suggestion or am I missing something?

Also, is there a better lens adapter out there that works for this camera? I've noticed threads about modifying the supplied adapter but I'd rather buy something that works better - especially if I mess up the modification.

Thanks,
Doug
pdx_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:36 PM   #2

Doug, Friend of mine has the FZ5 and shoots with the lens hood in the stored position but has to remove it for flash pictures. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:37 PM   #3

pdx_doug wrote:
Quote:
I just got an FZ5 for Christmas and the manual says not to shoot with the lens hood in the stored position. Looking at the movement of the lens on power up and during the zoom process, I can't see how it makes a difference. Is this a suggestion or am I missing something?

Also, is there a better lens adapter out there that works for this camera? I've noticed threads about modifying the supplied adapter but I'd rather buy something that works better - especially if I mess up the modification.

Thanks,
Doug

pdx_doug-

You're probably correct about the lens hood when in the stored position. It does not seem to interfere with the lens extension or the auto focus assist light although it may cause some shadowing issues when talking close up photos with flash. It seems the lens adapter itself can do this on closeups <2-3' with the flash.

My viewing of the forums on the FZ5 (had mine for about 5-weeks now) haven't revealed any after market adapters. The process of sanding the extra mm or so of plastic w/no threads is not that hard and does allow for a better fit for some shallow threaded lens such as the TCON17. I sanded mine down it about 10-minutes on a hard cover book for the sand paper backing. My Hoya UV(O) filter is a now great fit and works better for attaching other filters/lens to its deeper metal threads. The attached photo shows the adapter after sanding down. There is a bit of glare at noon position showing where the first thread now starts.

There's apparently not enough demand for an after market adapter. I believe Frank (fmoore) has another approach that is a bit more involved than just sanding but judge for yourself... http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Attached Images

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:40 PM   #4

The lens hood in the stored position is a bit cumbersome and may interfere with the focus assist lamp. Other than that I can't see how it would be a problem.

As for a "better" fz5 adapter, the one pictured below islisted at this Chinese site http://vipweb.url.com.tw/mschen3/fz3fz5.htmfor $24 (?) I have emailed Mr Chen inquiring as to its availability and shipped cost but have heard nothing. It appears to be a metal alloy replica of the stock plastic adapter so it probably will not solve any of the stock adapters shortcomings (longcomings?) other than the better metal threads.

You can get another stock adapter from Panasonic parts for about $20 shipped. The modificationm shown at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23is pretty easy to perform.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:28 PM   #5

Thanks, everybody, for your timely and detailed input. I really appreciate it. I hope to learn a lot about using this camera in this forum - it seems like a great bunch of people.

Doug
pdx_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:51 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum Doug. Looking forward to seeing your fz5 output (and input).
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:06 PM   #7

Yes I can, even with the FZ20 one:

Fix a white paper before the flash at 5-10 cm from it and the diffuse effect it causes will smooth the shadows and totally eliminate any shadowing caused by the hood, even in the closeups. It works perfectly with my FZ20 (in which case I can fix the white paper to the hot shoe).

Yet the very best flash light is the one which is bounced from an external flash (directed 50-90° upward) to a white paper as in Tchuanye's usual macro setup

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote