Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:40 PM   #1

A first try at a macro shot with the fz5 and the minolta #2 CU-lens. This is one of the few shots that turned out semi-ok from a batch of dozens.

I'm surprised at how difficult shooting a good macro shot is, especially with the very limited DOF of this lens. Good thing I didn't buy the DCR250..

Any pointers on how to make the learning curve less steep would be very much appreciated.
Attached Images

makarjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:30 PM   #2

Looks pretty good ! Nice job. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:08 PM   #3

Good shot, nice colors.

Blurred circular drop, sharper base.

With Nikon 6T I shoot at drops
http://www.macrophotography.org/modu...php&page=5

as you can see the picture which I caught reflected on the falling drop surface is sharper than the edges of the drop: thus no motion blur but shallow DOF...

Without F22 or lower apertures (and high iso) it's hard to make a perfect job in this field, nonetheless someone here on this forum has made a very good job with FZ10 andheirs.

PS don't worry about leftovers: it's very common that in 90-100 shots you catch the falling drop or a good splash only a dozen of times and of these, only 2-3 are good.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:12 AM   #4

Agree with Narmer's observation on the DOF of the drops at top and base.

Can you share your settings?

Try to use the highest F stop, use ext flash, and keep the camera parallel to the drops so hopefully the entire drop is within the DOF.

And also agree with Narmer, that out of 100s of shots, only 1 or 2 may turn out well. So keep on trying.

You can see some of my attempts here:
http://tchuanye.smugmug.com/gallery/654583
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 1:46 AM   #5

Narmer and tchuanye, both of your galleries are amazing. Which macro lenses are you using? And makarjal,I love your first attempt, too. What's the diopter strength of the minolta #2 CU-lens?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:03 AM   #6

I use the 6T +2.9

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Narmer and tchuanye, both of your galleries are amazing. Which macro lenses are you using? And makarjal,I love your first attempt, too. What's the diopter strength of the minolta #2 CU-lens?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:04 AM   #7

I got the 4t, so I should be able to get the same results. But, boy, do I have to practice to get such results...
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:11 AM   #8

Actually, its not too difficult. Once you get the focus right, and fix it (change to MF), just keep snapping with Ext flash while dropping the drops.....and hope that 1 or 2 turns out.

Focus first on the spot where the drop will land, lock it there, and just aim the drops to drop there while you snap.

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I got the 4t, so I should be able to get the same results. But, boy, do I have to practice to get such results...
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:26 AM   #9

ALSO REMEMBER TO SET A FASTER sHUTTER SPEED than the usual P + Flash 1/60 sec.

You can try up to 1/200 or faster to better freeze the movement.

I also Use Nikon 6T to which I have recently added a 5T (buthaven't had time yet to try some dropexperiment with both, although I planned to do it with Mercury drops).

But maybe this diopter set (+ 4,4) is already too extreme and one can try with 6T alone.
I ll also experiment some (onboard) flash bouncing via a white bristol-like drawing paper-

Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:30 AM   #10

In this example, even more than in the previous one, you can see the flowers on the wall tiles, actually in focus, while the edge of the drop is not.
And the whole drop horizontal radius must beless than 2mm !

So better to use +3 or lower diopters to have more DOF also at the expense of magnification.

The lerger operating distance of 5T is fine formicro splashes will more hardly reach the surface of the lens

My MACRO collection
Attached Images