Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:43 PM   #11

mtngal...thanks for reminding me. i have seen thatspecial offerand also one to get two enlargements made...i'll do some websurfing this evening to find it...

Thanks for the reminder,

Ray
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:25 AM   #12

Too bad I didn't see this right away. I would swim thru a river infested with man eating crocs, agrue with my wife's sister, sky dive into the camera store...wrestle King Kong, snorkle thru the piranha infested amazon, become a fear factor champion...in short, overcome any and all obstacles in my way to be the first onein line to buy the FZ 30 all over again! This is the oneto hang on to while yer waiting to win the lottery...then you'll be able to buy all the cameras which do one single thing perfectly, and switch between'em. Mean while this one does such a good job at so many things you'll alway be ready to catch a good shottill your lucky numbers are drawn. A N D as if that weren't enuff...you'll have the Panasonic forum members to brag to and show off your soon to be highly acclaimed photo skills. Best regards, good luck with your purchase, H A P P Y New Year to all!

KennethD

I just got mine about a week ago and am very impressed! I just have one complaint. My prior camera was a Kodak 6490 and it took much better macro shots than the FZ30. I will admit I am a "true amature" in this field but with the Kodak I was able to get alot closer without the auto focus not working. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing (wouldn't be the 1st time...lol) but I can't get as close as I would like. Any suggestions from a seasoned veteran as yourself would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to get a macro lens? I have a bunch of + filters I used with the Kodak(52mm) and got a 55>52mm step down to use these but it really doesn't seem to make much difference......Kinda ramblin on here, after all it is a new year!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR. So anyways.....Help!

Wayne

waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:04 PM   #13

I'm not an expert, but I've had reasonably good luck with my close-up photos without using anything. I have to pay attention to the focus and zoom - if you have the camera a couple of inches away from your subject it has to be at wide angle. This is a crop (slightlyresized also)of a picture I took yesterday in my back yard (it was rainy and I didn't want to go anywhere). This is the camera by itself, usingauto focus (it took a couple of tries to get it to focus on the small branch and not the ground beyond). It's a pinon pine, which has small needles and cones. Is this what you are trying to take?

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:27 PM   #14

myngal, yep, that's one of the types of pix i want to capture and since i live about 40mins down the 405 from you (Westminster), i want to spend some quality time @ Huntington and Newport Beaches photographing everything from macro subjects all the way up to the boats in the harbor.

thx for the pic, i was out driving in that rain and we going to get alot more tomorrow.

thx again, Ray
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:00 PM   #15

http://jerseyguy84.blogspot.com/2006/01/cheesey.html

Here's a link to a shot I took for my entry for Macroday's cheesey contest. Pretty cool site, awsome macro shots, check it out! As you can see it's a pretty decent pic but I had to crop to eliminate the backround. With the Kodak set to macro I could back up a bit and then zoom in to fill the entire frame. I can't seem to figure out how to do that with the FZ30. Maybe it's just me, got to experiment more. Anyways, thanks for tryin to help.

Wayne
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:24 PM   #16

btw mtngal...is that shot of the Pinion Pine handheld?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:05 PM   #17

Roy - That shot was handheld - I think that the IS helps (I had it set to mode 2) because the shutter speed wasn't very fast. I missed my chance to check out anything else today - it's started raining again (just wish the storm was colder, I'd love to take some snow pictures). Try to stay dry, this storm sounds worse than yesterday. I'm delighted that I won't have to be down your way until Tuesday (one does have to work, sigh).

Wayne - It seems like the distance required to focus changes quickly with this camera. At maximum zoom the distance is almost 7 feet, so it is hard to use the zoom at all with macro shots. Hopefully one of the experts who have one of the add-on lenses will chime in and talk about them. If I had wanted to get lots of accessories for my camera I would have bought the Pentax dSLR because I still have a number of nice manual Pentax lenses. I'll just accept the limitation and physically get closer to whatever I'm taking.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:32 PM   #18

Yeah, but sometimes you don't want to get too close, snakes, spiders, etc. In those cases I guess just use the zoom and crop. Having 8mp makes that an optoin. I've tried using + filters...pretty much the same deal.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:52 PM   #19

roy123 wrote:
Quote:
Iam very close to purchasing this Camera and havea very simple question to ask of any current owners of it. (not of the FZ10 or FZ20).

Given what you now know now since buying it, would you buy it again?

That's the question, if you had a chance at a 'do-over', would you buy it again?

Yes, Ray, I would. It is a fantastic camera.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:30 PM   #20
Baz

Roy, you may care to consider a Linear rather than a circular polarizer.

The circular is not required for the Panasonics, and the linear appears to give better results. It's cheaper too!

See a thread earlier on this forum "Polarizer Effects" where this is discussed with example images on the use of a linear polarizer.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote