Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:50 AM   #41

hello, welcome and happy snapping...:|
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:20 PM   #42

Puddock wrote:
Quote:
Hello All,

This is my first post .

Boy, amI glad I found this forum.

Finally got my FZ30 which I have been lusting after for some time. I am very impressed by the feel of the camera and the build quality. I look forward to exploring the possibilities offered by the simply amazing range of versatile features which this camera offers.

I needed a camera for all round duty but a main requirement was to capture car racing as I have two sons who race V8s.

I hope to be able to post some racing shots after the first meeting in February.

Happy snapping! :-)

Congrats on your new cam. To shoot your sons' races in burst mode, check out the topic on red dot sights: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=red+dot+sight. I highly recommend one for that kind of setting.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:58 PM   #43

well i have this brand new camera in my hot little hands and can't do a thing until i charge the battery...battery charging is what, 10-15mins on this? (just kidding)...lol

first impression is i thought it was larger...since i'm about 6' 4" (i'm settling in my silver years), my hand can wrap around that grip pretty easily...i don't think it will be a problem since i currently have a Fuji 5000 and that's much smaller, but it takes nice pix...all i need to see is some of the performance out of this as i have seen from others and believe me i won't complain a bit...:lol:

Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:53 PM   #44

Congrats on the delivery - now that the battery should have been charged, better hurry up and post some photos! What do you think of it?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:20 AM   #45

i think i got some killer pix of my Pepsi can and my Logitech mouse, lol...i'll play more tomorrow, the alarm go off at 3:30AM...

btw, this is a beautiful, solidly built camera that will fit comfortably in my gadget collection...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:54 AM   #46

New poster as well. ( also a DMC-FZ30 soon to be buyer)

Good tip for speedy kids...

So, from all the Noise topics in this forum I think i'm still sold on it.

Thanks for all you have bought and shared your insights!

martiniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:58 PM   #47

I've only had the camera since Christmas and I just love it. The feel of it is perfect and it's so well built sometimes I take it out of it's case just to hold it. Ummm... moving on...

I was actually quite suprised by it's macro functions. I'm not sure what the correct techniqe is so I just zoom out to the widest angle and step in with it. I've been able to get some amazing detail with it. I do find that a bright, wind-less day helps a lot though. I seem to be able to get closer than 5cms with it but I still would love to get a macro adapter as well.

It only take a few snaps to realise how amazing that Leica lens is. Such detail.

Noise? Yeah there's some. Certainly no more than any other camera in it's class and I think it's just something that non-DSLR owners are going to have to put up with for awhile. If you let the camera do the work you will get noisy photo's in low light which I certainly did when I got it. However since then I've learnt how to take the photo's correctly andcan now take night shots with no noticeable noise.

After hearing all the noise hype I wasreally happily surprised by it's result on low ISO. I feel sorry for Panasonic having to put up with this rubbish. Such a great camera that's probably been shelved byso many people becausea few people thought it was noisy.

I would most definately buy it again because at this time (and Ithink for some time in the future) you willnot find a better camera in it's class.

Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:47 AM   #48

It's been a little more than a week since my FZ30 finally arrived. I read so much about it and seen so many photos that having it in my hand felt somewhat familiar.
I am very happy with it. The past time I have tried all sorts of things with it (mostly indoors) and am quite satisfied. In low light there's a little too much noise but I had expected that.
Does anyone know if there is a firmware update for this model?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:13 PM   #49

I don't think there is a firmware update, but don't expect one to have any effect on the noise. That's completely a function of the sensor.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:42 PM   #50

Perhaps they'd manage some more effective algorithms to deal with the noise, or is that impossible and miracles can't be done with a sensor of that size?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote