Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:26 PM   #51

Using macro mode is not always a solution, because it may not be physically possible to get up close and personal with your subject. Sometimes backing up to 6 ft (2m) away isn't possible either. Your camera shouldn't needlessly force you to climb a barbed-wire fence or jump into a swamp. In these situations, your only solution is to crank down the zoom and use your computer to crop out most of your image. And you know what that does to image quality.

Last edited on Tue Jan 3rd, 2006 02:22 am by rduve

I've tried adding a +10 macrofilter which allows much more use of the zoom but only the very center of frame is in focus, even at the widest apature. Is there some way to eliminate this? I really like to be able to use the zoom in macro...you can get MUCH closer (not distance wise, which is fine)than with the FZ30's macro mode alone.....HELP!

Wayne

waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:51 PM   #52

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is a firmware update, but don't expect one to have any effect on the noise. That's completely a function of the sensor.
I'm still watching this topic with interest, because I am going to get into macro shots soon, and want to read all the interesting comments. Can't contribute at the moment, but...C O R P S Y.....where in the world did you get that photo??? Did you take it yourself, or ...or...or what? I feel for the poor squirrel! He looks frightened and startled out of his wits. Hope he didn't become lunch for that snake. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:40 PM   #53

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Congrats on your new cam. To shoot your sons' races in burst mode, check out the topic on red dot sights: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=red+dot+sight. I highly recommend one for that kind of setting.

Many thanks for the linkrduve.

Looks like a red dot is on the wish list......

along with the spare batteriy, the gig SD card, the UV filter, the tripod, the case, the TCONs, etc, etc, etc....:-)
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:42 PM   #54

since i've had my FZ30 for 2 days now and can't make it home before dark...i figured any folks sitting on the fence might want to check out some excellant optics...excuse my subject matter...these were taken in Program Mode (they only my 47 & 50th pics, i'll learn) @ F3.6 1/4sec, ISO 200 with no PP except for resize...

like i said, the subject matter is not the best, but the optics certainly are...btw, the light source was a 60watt desk lamp approx 3' away...

now i just have to get a chance to get outside in the daylight...

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:18 PM   #55

Roy - I happen to know from personal experience that webshots doesn't allow their photos to be linked to an outside forum (I tried it a number of years ago). Imagestation won't let you either (tried that, too). Photo.net does, as well as photobucket and imageshack (or at least they used to, I've never used them), and all of them have limited free accounts.

P.S. - Did you let the camera choose the white balance? It's right on, considering your lighting was a lamp! As far as not getting home until after dark - that's what lunch hours are for! Many of my first photos were of Westwood's buildings, and flowers planted next to a parking garage. With this absolutely heavenly Los Angeles weather we're having, there's all kinds of opportunities (other than the Botanical Gardens they aren't my usual thing, but that's expanding my photo capabilities).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:52 PM   #56

Does anyone know whether the FZ30 supports SD ADATA 150X 4GB or, for that matter, any SD card greater than 2GB?
I've been hearing that in order to accept greater than 2GB cards, the camera must recognize FAT32.
Anyone have a clue about this one?

P.S. I personally use a 2GB ADATA and haven't been having any problems with it.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:53 PM   #57

sorry 'bout that, i wasn't sure if i could link to webshots from another website...i guess i now know...whdda pain!...

@mtngal... thanks for the info on optional pic hosting...

you have a point about snapping photo's at lunchtime, but since i work for a large AeroSpace firm, i would have to leave company premisses to do so or i might find myself unemployeed the next day...

@zygh...
Quote:
I've been hearing that in order to accept greater than 2GB cards, the camera must recognize FAT32.
in order to do that you'd have to have an updated file system to replace the FAT16 they're currently using...this would come in the form of a hack or a firmware update...i haven't checked Panasonics site to see if they had the firmware update and as for hacks, i'd have to see how well they're accepted by others first, just like with the EOS dRebel 300D Russian Hack...it seems to work well by people i know that have used it...

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 3:59 AM   #58

roy123: I checked the Pana site and there is no update to the FZ30. I haven't heard of anyone that can "hack" into firmware of cameras and I don't really trust that.
Does this mean that the Pana FZ30 can't support cards above 2GB?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:32 PM   #59

Anyone got a update on ifthe 4GB SD compatible with FZ30? I found one user reported his FZ30 is compatible with Transcend 150X 4GB card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16820163159) (Search FZ-30 in the reviews). But not sure if anyone here also has the same experience?
qinyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:32 PM   #60

Roy123, did you buy it? I'll do it again if I have to! Nothing comes close!
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote