Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:14 PM   #1

Iam very close to purchasing this Camera and havea very simple question to ask of any current owners of it. (not of the FZ10 or FZ20).

Given what you now know now since buying it, would you buy it again?

That's the question, if you had a chance at a 'do-over', would you buy it again? I'm not really interested in alternatives or coulda, shoulda's. I'm very familiar with Forums and how many of the Forums regukars might be motivated to give a critique or opinion on other options, but this camera intrigues me and my question is specific.

Sorry for sounding blunt, but i am just about ready to press the buy button with B&H and hope to hear from some of the current owners regarding their satisfaction or dissatisfaction.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2

I would buy it twice !!!
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

Hi,

I would buy it again . Why? Becouse you can't buy enything so good for that money . Simple. Aaa, noise, foreget, I'm taking pictures at 7a.m (cloudy, foggy and..) and I have rally goodpictures. Really fast camera. Beautiful zoom and macro + other lenses. What alse? Looks like good - good quality body.

I bought my in newegg for 580$.

This camera will be mine for next 3-4 years . I hope... :G
kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 1:22 PM   #4

Thanks Gentlemen...this is what i'm looking for.

Kreciu...i purchase many PC components from NewEgg, but since they're actually charging $20 more for the Black body and the price for the Silver body is the same as B&H, i might as well buy from out of state and avoid paying tax on it (which here in my county in Cal. would be about $46). I have not had any complaints with the 7 prior orders i've placed with B&H.

Ray

Old Dec 31, 2005, 1:45 PM   #5

In a heart beat ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:01 PM   #6

Yes, I would definitely buy this again. I bought mine from Butterfly Photo for $525 and had no trouble with the transaction. I had a Canon Pro 1 before this one so the only thing I miss is the LCD hinged at the left and able to be turned to a few more angles. I recently bought the Raynox 6600-55 wide angle converter for it but have not tried it yet. The Panasonic is, to me, less hassle because you don't need adapters for filters, accessory lenses, etc. I don't think you will be sorry with this camera.
valleykayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:59 PM   #7

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks. Would I buy it again? Probably. Is it the perfect camera? No, but then no camera is.

I was really happy with my first photos, but now I'mfrustrated. The bad thing is that I'm not quite sure why but my photos recently haven't been very good. Of course, it's entirely possible that the problem is with the photographer, not the camera.

I just took a couple of photos using raw and the jpg fine. In the past I thought the jpg over-processed the photos and lost detail. But the couple of photos I took today had minimal differences, so I don't know.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:13 PM   #8

Too bad I didn't see this right away. I would swim thru a river infested with man eating crocs, agrue with my wife's sister, sky dive into the camera store...wrestle King Kong, snorkle thru the piranha infested amazon, become a fear factor champion...in short, overcome any and all obstacles in my way to be the first onein line to buy the FZ 30 all over again! This is the oneto hang on to while yer waiting to win the lottery...then you'll be able to buy all the cameras which do one single thing perfectly, and switch between'em. Mean while this one does such a good job at so many things you'll alway be ready to catch a good shottill your lucky numbers are drawn. A N D as if that weren't enuff...you'll have the Panasonic forum members to brag to and show off your soon to be highly acclaimed photo skills. Best regards, good luck with your purchase, H A P P Y New Year to all!

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:03 PM   #9

You guys (or Gals) are too much...I didn't expect this kind of response in such a short amount of time. The way i see it is I received 7 replies with 6 of them being an unequivical thumbs up and 1 a maybe, that calculates to a 85% thumbs up and the maybe.

The button has been pushed to buy from B&H along with a spare Battery and a U/V filter to get me started. I'll pick up a circular polarizing filter at my local camera shop next payday.

@Kenneth...you are too much dude, i'm sorry i'm down in SoCal, cuz if I could i'd shake your hand...your humor is just as off the wall as mine is. Thanks for the hearthy reply.

This camera is gonna give me a great 1-2 punch for practically all my needs as i already have the dRebel with 3 add on lens but i want an all in one that can give comparable opportunities without lugging my backpackwith all mystuff with me. Plus my Niece's Daughter (yep, i'm 56 and old enough to have a Great Niece) is getting married next year and wants the Uncle to do the photography because her budget won't be sufficient to hire a real Pro. So i'll give myself some time to get used to the Lumix in the interim.

I picked up a 1gig Sandisk II SD card and am now figuring i'll step up to a higher capacity or by a micro drive (the Lumix does accept Microdrives doesn't it?)...

well, once again, i want to thank all that relpied and hopefully in the next week or so i'll have the new toy in my hot little hands...

Happy New Year, Peace and Health to all;

Ray...

Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:16 PM   #10

The FZ30 doesn't take the microdrive - only SD cards. I've recently bought a second Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB card (bought one when I bought the camera. Was the free 512 card rebate still going on? Panasonic was offering a free 512 card when I bought mine a few weeks ago. I've sent in for it and we'll see if I ever get it. With all 3 cards I should be fine - I usually travel with my laptop and can download often.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote