Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:15 PM   #11
jcr

I'm in for the housing info also...and photo if possible...
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:13 PM   #12

Hi,

I will take some photos of the housing and setup later today as for the exif data, for some reason PS kill exif data, does anyone know how to stop PS from doing this?

Cheers

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:04 AM   #13

Hi,

The housing is a EWA marine UA-X housing that I got second hand off ebay (far too expensive new). You need an adaptor to hold the camera into the bag and because of the non-centred tripod mount in FZ10 you also need a centring plate. I got a cheap and nasty plate made out of an old fry pan! The bag adaptor really fits a ~57mm filter, its not threaded) so I had to file down a old 62mm UV filter.
I was expecting there to be very little light under water so I got a housing that would fit the camera and flash but to my pleasant surprise a flash isnt needed. Using ISO 100 and f3.3 the shutter speed is around 1/200 on a sunny day.
You also need to use a desiccant to adsorb any moisture that condensers on the camera/bag inside.
The bag is designed for a D-SLR so you cant really see what you are actually taking a photo of as the viewing window is designed for a centred view finder. But I have a pretty good success rate when just pointing and shooting. Plus the movie mode is fun and works well.
I use the constant autofocus mode to improve focus speed and usually use P mode.
Its really fun to use and adds another dimension to my photography trips.
The "real" under water photographers shun these EWA marine bags but there isnt a proper housing for any Panasonic camera and proper housings for DSLR's cost more than a new FZ30. To be honest the housing is a glorified plastic bag and hence there is a risk of leaking but I have used it a dozen times without a problem. You need to be very careful that the two parts that seal are perfectly clean with no sand/hair or it will leak.
So the verdict, its fun but kinda hard to use and quite expensive for what it is (I paid ~$150 US) and I dont know how worth while it is unless you do a lot of diving/snorkelling. I wont be selling it as I plan to upgrade to a D-SLR at some point and it is easier to use with a D-SLR but in hindsight I dont know if I would buy it again.
On the D-SLR issue, a friend of mine tried her Canon 20D with it and I also had a go with it. It was way easier to use than the FZ10 and the photo quality difference in the Turtle photos is due to poor water conditions not the camera.
Any other questions feel free to ask.

treemonkey
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:05 AM   #14

Empty Bag
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:05 AM   #15

Adaptor
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:06 AM   #16

UV filter
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:54 AM   #17

Amazingto learn the great heights (or depths, in this case!:-) )the FZ and its master can reach!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:58 AM   #18

Thanks for the photos and the explanation - I didn't realize they even had anything like this. Even though the plastic is clear, I wonder if it would affect the light from the flash?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:08 AM   #19

Thanks TM for the photos....good to know that FZ10 can shoot underwater
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:10 AM   #20

Dude...

Those are awesome...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote