Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:40 PM   #1

God afternoon everyone, I have enjoyed lurking in this forum and just purchased an FZ30 and I was looking to but some inexpensive wide angle and telephoto - just to see what they would do. I can fine some reasonable prices on 58mm or 52mm - this is probably a dumb question, but which way should I go. Thanks jk
jkbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:59 PM   #2

As far as I understand, you always want to go bigger instead of smaller. It allows you to use the sweet spot of lenses, and also avoid vingetting. So, I would guess that stepping up would work better than stepping down.
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:04 PM   #3

i'm surprised you can't find what you want with 55mm threads. that's a very common size. the TCON17, for instance, is a good teleconverter that will fit your FZ30 with no step-ring at all. finding a good wide angle converter might require a step, though - in which case i agree with Will, i'd go with the 58.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:10 PM   #4

Thanks - I look forward to participating in this forum!
jkbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:38 AM   #5

jkbronco wrote:
Quote:
inexpensive wide angle and telephoto - just to see what they would do. I can fine some reasonable prices on 58mm or 52mm
All else being equal I would go with the larger diameter. The use of a step ring will not effect the tele much, but could cause vignetting with the wa since it places it further from the camera lens. Best to get a 55mm wa.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:47 AM   #6

Let me say this ...you would do much better getting lenses that we know work on the FZ30...because not all lenses do.

A company can make a lens and even if its a good lens and works very well on one camera does not mean it will work at all on another.

I kind of read Ebay in your question and while at times someone finds a lens that works well ..most of the off brands are not what advertised or of bad quality.

Now that is not to say you can not find a good deal on a lens say like the Tcon17 which works very well with the FZ30...You can not find the ultimate 3X lens so save your money on that one.

As far as a step ring it does not seem to matter much I have a Raynox 720 that is 52mm and works fine..not the best quality but it works.

There have been some sony lens and ricoh lens that work very well and there is a couple minolta lens that work, a canon TL55 is another good lens but those lenses with strange names that say are like a Tcon, are a waste of money.

Well that was my rant for the day ...can you tell I tried some of these bargain lenses?

genece is offline   Reply With Quote