Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:47 PM   #1

Took this photo yesterday using FZ30+TCON17 and became fascinated by the level of detail so I enjoyed myself searching the net to point out some of the visible craters, the Sea of Crisis and a moon valley (one mile equals 1.6 km by the way).

Still fascinatedthat details like the small crater Picard, just 14 miles wide, can be spotted.After all we'reabout 240,000 miles away...
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:59 PM   #2

This is pretty impressive.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:47 PM   #3

Nice image and a lesson also
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:51 PM   #4

Hi,

This is looks like from nice telescope . This detalis, ehhh!!! This lens is secound thing which I'm going to buy .

Moon is good object, but wait for comet , this will be pleasure. May be some day...

kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:12 PM   #5

Excellent capture and crater research ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:33 PM   #6

That's one of the best Moon shots I've seen on this site.* Better hang on to that TCON17, Did you know that the moon is moving farther away from Earth each year by one inch. (1 inch= 2.54 centimeters) That's a fact.* [img]/forums/images/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]* *That means in 63,360 years from now, it will be 240,001 miles away.* I, for one, am not going to loose any sleep over it.*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/lachen001.gif[/img]
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:48 AM   #7

Your telephoto lens and the 8MP of FZ30 have certainly worked to give a very good picture of the moon's craters. Quite an impressive photo.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:06 AM   #8

Thanks all for comments!! So it's moving away away from us? Better be quick with further shots then :-)

The reason for this photo being more detailed than before might bea very clear sky, it was about -15 degrees Celsius (or five degrees Fahrenheit).A tripod andPanasonic's remote control was used to avoid all possible shaking blur (stabilization still active). Spot metered on the surface and checked there were no 'burnouts' which made I had to compensate with -1.66. I used black&white mode to get rid of possible color abberation (especially the converter might give some).

This is full size crop from 3MP mode (so not many of those 8MP are used, Raghu). Otherwise, all postprocessing done is two steps of sharpening.

/The backyard astronomer
PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:20 AM   #9

Excellent photo and great research. It's great when our hobby inspires us to learn about things other than photography. The more we photograph, the more we want to learn about who and what we're photographing, etc.

Getting back to photography, I agree with the comment that this is certainly one of the best moon photos I've seen on these forums (or fora, for the linguistically correct).
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:14 PM   #10

Very nice demonstration and utilization of the the fz30/tcon17 combo. Thanks for the lunagraphy lesson.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote