Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:01 PM   #1

Hi, could You tell me something about macro lences? There is any reason to buy close up lens (e.g. +) at the (begining)instead macro lens?

Thank you,

kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:39 PM   #2

I think but I could be wrong we are pretty liberal with the term macro lens....If we are not talking DSLR they should be called closeup lenses. But even if I am wrong about that you want to get either Macro or closeup lens that have more than 1 element.

Lenses like the Mcon 35 or Nikon 4 T or the canon250 fit that bill and you will noticetwo say their closeup lenses and the Mcon says its a macro.

Those closeup sets you see on ebay are cheap for a reason, the quality is not real good.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:41 PM   #3

a good close-up lens will let you do marvelous things with the FZ10/20/30 - just look at some of Tchuanye's macro shots for the results. the big advantages toa close-up lensinstead of using just the macro setting on the camera, are that you can focus on subjects from farther away, giving you more depth of field and better lighting, and you can use the full 12x zoom to really "get up close" to your subject. for the FZ30, i'd recommend the Nikon 3T or 4T close-up lens.the 3T is 1.5 diopter, and the 4T is 2.9 diopter. they're 52mm threads, so you'd need a 55-52mm step down ring, but they are excellent lenses and produce fine results.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:53 PM   #4

Thank you.

I forgot ask about macro lenses like Raynox DCR-250? What about them? Comparing close up "lenses". I want to take a picture of flower anthers, they are really small, about 0.5 mm my bee 1mm:!:. And better for me is to take picture from some distance? Thank you for answers.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5

The dcr-250 is a +8 diopter achromatic that works very nicely with the fz series. It has a snap on adapter that fits any size 52-67mm so will fit the fz30 with no other adapter needed. Some samples with the fz5 at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23 The dof is obviously going to be very shallow. You can't go much beyond +8 diopter handheld. For some discussion on more powerful raynox macro lenses see http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16347264
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:12 AM   #6

Hi, thank you for answers. I will start for some close up (+4). When I sow your flowers - anthers looks like really nice . May be later I will try by something different.

PS. My first camera when I can change lenses . I really like it!

Thank you!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:56 PM   #7

So if i use a close-up lens i don't use the macro setting?

When exactly doesis close-up lens handy? I'm educating myself to order one!
xedrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:49 PM   #8

xedrox wrote:
Quote:
So if i use a close-up lens i don't use the macro setting?

When exactly doesis close-up lens handy? I'm educating myself to order one!
With the fz series,a close-up lens allows for:

1. Higher magnification

2.A fixed focus or working distance to the subject throughout the zoom. No need to move further from the subject as zoom is increased. The formula for this is F=1/d wher F is the focus distance im meters and d is the diopter power of the lens. Thus,the popular +3 diopter lens focus at 1/3m or about 13" from the subject. At lower zooms F is not as critical - there is leeway. At higher zooms it becomes more fixed. This also allows you to put some distance between you and the subject which reduces camera/photographer shadow and bee stings and snake bites.

3. Capability of using A (or S or M or P) mode to set the aperature higher and get greater dof. You do not need to be in macro mode, though that will work also.

Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:19 PM   #9

Great, thanks. I just ordered a +2 lens, i'm curious what the effect will be on my fz5. Can't wait
xedrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:01 PM   #10

xedrox wrote:
Quote:
Great, thanks. I just ordered a +2 lens, i'm curious what the effect will be on my fz5. Can't wait
That's a good power to start with. You will focusat .5m or about 20" from the subject throughout the zoom.