Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:06 PM   #1

A newsletter from a supplier is advocating the use of Color-Grade Filters.

These are half colour and half ND and are recommended for landscape and perhaps seaside photography to correct the sky and have the ND cover the foreground.

A combination could be used with one colour for the top half and another for the lower but at about $80 each this is a bit theoretical(!)

Has anyone used these and if so any comments

Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:58 PM   #2

Myself I do not think Graduated filters are much use but I am sure there are other opinions . Those filters do not seem to be that expensive though

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:38 AM   #3

Thanks Genece.

Looked at the site. Good details are also available at http://www.dvdreamtime.com.au/catalo....php?cPath=202 whois supplier in Canberra....an excellent catalogue and excellent service.

Price I quoted is Australian dollars so there is a difference as the $A is worth about 72c US

A friend has already ordered one for his (am I allowed to say it) Canon RebelXT/EOS350D so I will bide my time for howcould we possibly improve our Leica lenses

Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:26 PM   #4

I love GND filters. They allow you to increase the apparent dynamic range of your camera when you have a dark background and bright sky. The alternative is to either underexpose the foreground or to have a white sky. However, I would never use a colored filter on a digital camera. If you want to create those dingy color excesses, you might as well do it in PhotoShop. The GND does a truly useful thing that cannot easily be simulated. The color games can be done in post-processing if you feel that nature is too boring and limiting for your artistic vision.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote