Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:36 AM   #1
ViS

I finally decided on an FZ30 over a 350D or E-500. I test drove the FZ30 and compared the exact same shots at 100 ISO (90% of my shots) to my brothers 350D and couldn't pick the difference.

I'm very happy with my choice and the "noise nazis" can go jump :lol:

With the money I saved by not buying the 350D, I bought a nice Compaq laptop to transfer and edit my pics while on the road. Cheering!

Now, to go and play with my new toy some more :G
ViS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:33 AM   #2

Good choice now start enjoying the camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:15 AM   #3

Hi, the same like me, Fz30 + laptop to play with pictures (+Gimp ), and I have my own photo lab .

Good choice
kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:38 PM   #4
ViS

Ok here are a couple of pics. I'm into aquarium fish, so that's what many have been taken of so far :-)

I love how the camera can focus easily beyond the glass (what many cameras won't do).

I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting the hang of it. The fish pics have been heavily cropped as I'm still not used to the manual focus at zoom (especially with fast moving fish). Once I get better at using it, the sharpness will improve as I won't have to crop so much.

Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:21 PM   #5

VIS...if those are your first attempts, i have to applaud you, yep, they could all be critiqued and shot down by some of the 'elistest snob type' folks that will find something wrong with anything other than what they shoot...i think those are great starter pics and since my FZ30 is due to arrive on 1/9/06, i can't wait to try mine out...

i must admit, the last one with the child outside is very nice...even though the 'noise police' will probably poo-poo it due to the noise in the background, i think it's a darling shot of that child...

Ray
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:54 PM   #6

Hey! The last picture is from a Canon 350D, nice though Also the FZ30 fishes...
PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:17 PM   #7

Love the fish - the first two are really neat. Looks like you've definitely have a good handle on your new camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:28 PM   #8

Yets, the last picis froma EOS 350D, nice DOF at F4 which FZ compacts will never have.

I have recently Postprocessed some FZ30 pics (from Reviews Sample galleries), and confirm the impression thta, apart from the obvious better resolution (Than FZ20-5):

- Contrasts and sharpness is better, even when the pic is viewed at screen size with no sharpening.
The pics even hold better the sharpening: when I resize 5mp FZ20 images and apply PS 7 sharpening, I undo 25-35% of the total effect, not to make the pic too sharpened: FZ30 holds good even at 100% sharpening, although the original pic is already looking good, not too smooth, after resized).

- WB and colors are better and with less color casts in the images. Pics at normal saturation doesn't look dull.

- noise is "better": less "matrix" patterns which are much more smoothed than in FZ20 pics in some of which you can see at 200-300% those textile like squares with crossing lines...)

No rumors about FZ40 ?
Will it be for next August or after?

Narmer

http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:04 AM   #9
ViS

Whoops my bad :?

I was posting that pic on another forum at the same time and didn't change the copy and paste for this forum :roll:

I fixed it, and added a couple more. The spider is maybe 1/8 inch long (4mm) at the most. I really like the macro on this camera.

Thanks for the comments on the pic of my daughter anyway :-)

Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:12 AM   #10
ViS

A few more. Just tell me to stop and I will