Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2006, 1:30 PM   #11

suze wrote:
Quote:
...On the subject of recommendations, does anyone have some for online photo labs in the UK? I have rarely printed my pics up til now but think it's time to start :-)

Suze, you're in luck... they have a UKsite as well! :G

http://www.winkflash.com/uk/
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:30 PM   #12

Well, I didn't get disconnected today, must be their server. When you're used to broadband, you don't expect things to run slowly, but you're right, uploading is slow compared to downloading.

One thing to be aware of. The site states that they use 'giclee' printing on the larger 'posters', using pigment inks. This is probably an Epson type print on good Fujii type paper, but is definitely NOT a 'traditional' wet lab type of processing. Having said that, I've done some pigment printing on an Epson before and the results can be VERY good indeed ! In fact, their pigment inks are rated at 100+ years per Wilhelm testing.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:56 PM   #13

Charlie46227 wrote:
Quote:
One thing to be aware of. The site states that they use 'giclee' printing on the larger 'posters', using pigment inks. This is probably an Epson type print on good Fujii type paper, but is definitely NOT a 'traditional' wet lab type of processing. Having said that, I've done some pigment printing on an Epson before and the results can be VERY good indeed ! In fact, their pigment inks are rated at 100+ years per Wilhelm testing.
i don't know how the "giclee" process compares to 'regular' photo printing in terms of processing technology, but the results are certainly visually identical... and everything i've read indicates this new process is superior to the previous methods in most respects. colors are more vibrant, inks are more fade-resistant, detail is actually better, and,as you mentioned,prints can be expected to last in excess of 100 years. after having seen the results first hand, i have no reservations about that printing process...

http://www.gicleeprint.net/abtGclee.shtm

Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:13 AM   #14

One of those annoying things about broadband is that you download MUCH faster than you can upload. Here in my apartment (my roommate is a complete-take your pick: nerd, geek, techie-and I love him) we download at 2 mbs and upload at 700kbs. So, you take a slow server like most picture ones, and you get slow uploads indeed (slow+slow=slower in the internet world :-P).
Anyway, enough deviance from the main point. I will have to try them out next time I print a larger picture. Recently I've been enchanted with MPix and their metallic paper (printed off two VERY large prints from my recent adventures in Peru), but since I have new options, I'll give them a run also for some other stuff I decide to print off. Thanks for the info.
-Will
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:16 PM   #15

Charlie46227 wrote:
Quote:
One thing to be aware of.* The site states that they use 'giclee' printing on the larger 'posters', using pigment inks.* This is probably an Epson type print on good Fujii type paper, but is definitely NOT a 'traditional' wet lab type of processing.
Here's what the site's FAQ says:

What type of paper / chemicals / lab does winkflash use to make prints?
Our photo labs use FUJI Paper and Chemicals. We use high quality FUJI Crystal Archive Paper and Chemicals to produce colors that are more true to life.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:59 PM   #16

Robb, Yes, but only for the smaller sizes. If you look further at the 'poster size' printing, they clearly state there, that they are using "giclee" type printing with "pigment" inks.

Charlie
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:48 PM   #17

correct. the 16x20 and larger prints are made using the "giclee" process. but, as i said before, looking at that nice 16x20 on my wall, you'd never know it wasn't done "the traditional way"... they do really nice work, whatever process they use, and ifthey canproduce a very high quality 16x20 print that will last for decades or longer, for $8, i'm certainly not gonna complain just because it's inkjet technology instead of "traditional"...
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:35 PM   #18

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Suze, you're in luck... they have a UKsite as well! :G

http://www.winkflash.com/uk/
Thanks for this Squirl - I'll give them a try
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:30 PM   #19

Squirl,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just signed up and orders a few 4x6 b/w prints to check them out. Couldn't have been easier to use the site and I didn't see any issues with upload speeds. Like most on this forum I have a highspeed connection. When I get them I'll comment on the quality of the b/w prints.

Thanks again,

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:11 AM   #20

This all sound nice, but I'm about to take a different route. COSCO $3.00 for 16x20.

Hey it is wortf a try.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote