Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:01 PM   #21

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
This all sound nice, but I'm about to take a different route. COSCO $3.00 for 16x20.

Hey it is wortf a try.
do you mean COSTCO - the warehouse store folks? it'd be interesting to see if they can get you a decent enlargement that size for $3.00... let us know what results you get...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:01 PM   #22

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
This all sound nice, but I'm about to take a different route. COSCO $3.00 for 16x20.

Hey it is wortf a try.
do you mean COSTCO - the warehouse store folks? it'd be interesting to see if they can get you a decent enlargement that size for $3.00... let us know what results you get...

Yes Costco, I am sorry for my mild Dyslexia and I will let you know.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:29 PM   #23

Squirl,

Just out of curiosity what was the resolution of the image you sent them for you posters? I have a couple of shots that I am thinking I would like to do something larger then an 8x10 with. Anyone have a good reference on resolution vs print size?

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:49 PM   #24

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
Squirl,

Just out of curiosity what was the resolution of the image you sent them for you posters? I have a couple of shots that I am thinking I would like to do something larger then an 8x10 with. Anyone have a good reference on resolution vs print size?

-Brett
i upsampled the image to about 2300x3100. not the optimum size for that big a print, but i didn't want to overdue the resizing and introduce too much fuzziness into the picture through interpolation, so i held it to about a 20% increase. if you have an FZ30, you''re already over that size, and you should get a very nice print. as i've mentioned before, the best prints come from images with at least 200 pixels per linear inch of print size in each direction. using that as a guide, you'd need 2200x2800 resolution for an 11x14 print, and a 3200x4000 file size to get a sharp 16x20. but i've also found that pixel counts as low as 150 per inch can work, depending on the complexity of the image. the print i had made didn't have a lot of small detail, so a lower pixel count worked out all right. i've also made several 11x14 prints from my FZ20 with no upsampling at all, and they came out absolutely gorgeous.

Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:51 PM   #25

Thanks for the info. I remembered the 200ppi guide but I didn't know if that applies to the print method they were using for the posters. Sounds like it's still a good general rule. I am working with an FZ3 so even with upsampling I will not get to anything to large.

Thanks,

-Brett

[b]Squirl,

-Brett
[/quote]
i upsampled the image to about 2300x3100. not the optimum size for that big a print, but i didn't want to overdue the resizing and introduce too much fuzziness into the picture through interpolation, so i held it to about a 20% increase. if you have an FZ30, you''re already over that size, and you should get a very nice print. as i've mentioned before, the best prints come from images with at least 200 pixels per linear inch of print size in each direction. using that as a guide, you'd need 2200x2800 resolution for an 11x14 print, and a 3200x4000 file size to get a sharp 16x20. but i've also found that pixel counts as low as 150 per inch can work, depending on the complexity of the image. the print i had made didn't have a lot of small detail, so a lower pixel count worked out all right. i've also made several 11x14 prints from my FZ20 with no upsampling at all, and they came out absolutely gorgeous.

[/quote]
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:43 PM   #26

I have been using Costco to make prints for about a year now.¬* They are absolutely incredible!¬* There prices are very competitive. 5x7 $.39/ea, 8x10's $1.49, 11x14 up to 12x18 are $2.99.¬* 16x20 and 20 x30 posters are $9.99 mail order only. The quality is excellent and you can e-mail your order in and pick it up about an hour later.¬* LoveLife, you won't be disappointed.¬* ¬* ¬*Smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:57 PM   #27

smac wrote:
Quote:
I have been using Costco to make prints for about a year now. They are absolutely incredible! There prices are very competitive. 5x7 $.39/ea, 8x10's $1.49, 11x14 up to 12x18 are $2.99. 16x20 and 20 x30 posters are $9.99 mail order only. The quality is excellent and you can e-mail your order in and pick it up about an hour later. LoveLife, you won't be disappointed. Smac
My plan is to do my PP work at home and burn a CD. If you can believe the samples I am on the right track. This is going to be my first one.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:10 AM   #28

smac wrote:
Quote:
I have been using Costco to make prints for about a year now. They are absolutely incredible! There prices are very competitive. 5x7 $.39/ea, 8x10's $1.49, 11x14 up to 12x18 are $2.99. 16x20 and 20 x30 posters are $9.99 mail order only. The quality is excellent and you can e-mail your order in and pick it up about an hour later. LoveLife, you won't be disappointed. Smac
those are good prices... not quite as cheap as Winkflash, but being able to go get them in an hour makes up for it! i have a Costco about 3 miles from home, and if i can find a place to park, they might be another option if i'm in a hurry for prints! thanks for the tip...

Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:31 AM   #29

smac wrote:
Quote:
One thing that winkflash has that looks really interesting is the "coffee table" books. For about $20 you could take a best off collection of your awsome bird picture add some text and have your very own hard cover book. From what I have seen posted here on this form many people could do this.

I hope to some day have a collection of photos that would be worthy of this. If your interested in that kind of thing check them out.

-Brett
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:32 PM   #30

LoveLife, the best thing about Costco is that when you see the print, if you don't like it they will either re-print it or toss it.¬* I think that shot will look really great.¬* Hey try a print at 12x18, which is close to the size you first mentioned.¬* For $2.99 what have you got to lose?¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*bmcoy,¬* Costco offer to print a calander of your photos for $9.99 and other items as listed on there website.¬* ¬*http://www.costcophotocenter.com¬* ¬*Check em out. ¬* ¬*Smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote