Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 7, 2006, 1:24 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 407
Default

I want to get a macro lense for my future FZ20 and I can't seem to find all the answers I want through the "search" feature on this website. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here (who are getting astounding results with these FZ cameras), so here goes:

I first want to buy the Phayee adapter and some filters for the camera. That seems to be highly recommended here.

I read that the Nikon 6T at an aperture of F8 at full zoom will give me a DOF of only 2 mm. That seems a little small to me. Here come the questions:

Isn't it terribly difficult to compose with such a small DOF?
What if you want a greater DOF? You can't go any smaller on the aperture.
Is there a macro lense that would give me a 2 mm DOF at F2.8 and let me increase it to my liking from there (or any lense that would offer greater control over the DOF)?
If the 4T is difficult to use, is there a lense that is easier to use?
Where can I buy a Nikon 4T at a resonable price?

Any other information on macro lenses and photography is welcome! I'm still a little confused about dioptre and such things as that. I'm an amateur at this stuff and the FZ20 will probably be my first serious camera.

Thanks

Edit: I just learned that the 4T is 52mm and the 6T is 62mm, so I guess I would need the 4T with the Phayee adapter.

Edit 2: I just found a great article on macro lenses:
http://www.oncloserinspection.com/Ph...s/diopters.htm

Edit 3: I just read that the Phayee adapter is 72mm > 62 mm, so that means I would want the Nikon 6T, unless I bought the 62 > 52 stepdown ring that he can include for $7. Would the 4T have any vignetting when used with all those adapters?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 1:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
I want to get a macro lense for my future FZ20 and I can't seem to find all the answers I want through the "search" feature on this website. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here (who are getting astounding results with these FZ cameras), so here goes:

I first want to buy the Phayee adapter and some filters for the camera. That seems to be highly recommended here.

I read that the Nikon 6T at an aperture of F8 at full zoom will give me a DOF of only 2 mm. That seems a little small to me. Here come the questions:

Isn't it terribly difficult to compose with such a small DOF?
What if you want a greater DOF? You can't go any smaller on the aperture.
Is there a macro lense that would give me a 2 mm DOF at F2.8 and let me increase it to my liking from there (or any lense that would offer greater control over the DOF)?
If the 4T is difficult to use, is there a lense that is easier to use?
Where can I buy a Nikon 4T at a resonable price?

Any other information on macro lenses and photography is welcome! I'm still a little confused about dioptre and such things as that. I'm an amateur at this stuff and the FZ20 will probably be my first serious camera.

Thanks

Edit: I just learned that the 4T is 52mm and the 6T is 62mm, so I guess I would need the 4T with the Phayee adapter.

Edit 2: I just found a great article on macro lenses:
http://www.oncloserinspection.com/Ph...s/diopters.htm
i have a Phayee and a Nikon 6T. i've never measured the DOF,and though it's relatively shallow, it's more than 2mm. i'm attaching a macro i took of a bee last summer with my 6T at f8, and you can see he's pretty well in focus from his closest leg to his far side wing. for reference, he was about 8-9mm across and about probably 12-13mm long. no macro lens i know of will give youmuch morethan about 10-12mm DOF tops... lenses just don't work that way... and the stronger the lens, the shallower the DOF,so you'll be forced to work with a pretty narrow focal range no matter what lens you choose.that's just the price you pay for being able to get to close to your subject. composition isn't hard, butfocusing can be tricky, though. i suggest using a tripod, putting the camera in the proper position for the correct working distance, and then doing the fine focus manually.

you don't want a Nikon 4T... that's a 52mm lens, andthe Phayee adapter has 62mm threads. get the Nikon6T instead... it's got 62mm threads and will screw right onto your adapter. the 4T and the 6T are the same strength, and provide a working distance of about 33cm. also, if you want more DOF and can live with a bit less magnification, consider getting a 5T instead. it's like the 6T, only 1.5 diopter instead of 2.9.you won't get quite as much macro effect, but the DOF and working distance will be greater.





squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 407
Default

Thanks Squirl, that picture looks great. If you guys can take pictures like that, I suppose that I can learn to as well!

Where is the best place to buy a Nikon 6T?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

Backing off on zoom will increase your dof as will closing the aperture. Here are some comparisons at 12x and ~6.5x at f3.3 and f8 with the fz5 and the +3 diopter olympus b-macro lens.

FZ5 w/ bmacro at 12x zoom and f3.6



FZ5 w/ bmacro at 12x zoom and f8



FZ5 w/ bmacro at 6.5x zoom and f3.3



FZ5 w/ bmacro at 6.5x zoom and f8



These were taken at anangle of about 30 degrees from the horizontal. I'd say the dof at 12x and f3.6 is about 3-4mm and at f8 dof is about 9-12mm. This would suggest that the dof icreases about 3x from f3.6 to f8 at max zoom. Anyone know of a mathematical relationship between depth of field and aperture setting?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 407
Default

fmoore,

Those shots are VERY helpful! They really give me a feeling of what to expect.

I noticed that you are using the FZ5 for those photos. I really like the compact size of the FZ5, but the lack of manual focus and the constant F2.8 aperature is what keeps me from buying one right this instant.

What adapter is the favorite for the FZ5?

Is taking macro shots difficult without manual focus?

Do you have to use the "macro" setting on the camera for macro shots?

Does the autofocus work well for macro shots?

Thanks for your replies so far, I'm really getting a better feeling for this.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

you don't have to use manual focus... i've had some very good results using AF mode with my FZ20, including the bee photo below.always use macro mode. i also recommend using a tripod. the DOF is shallow enough that it's hard to hold the camera at the perfect working distance to keep it in clear focus, and a tripod keeps the camera still relative to the subject... as long as it's not a moving bug, or a flower on a windy day!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
I noticed that you are using the FZ5 for those photos. I really like the compact size of the FZ5, but the lack of manual focus and the constant F2.8 aperature is what keeps me from buying one right this instant.
The fz5 goes to 3.3 at anything above 1x zoom. That half step is not critical, imo.

Quote:
What adapter is the favorite for the FZ5?
There is no third party adapter such as the Phayee for the fz5. There are modifications that can be made to the stock 55mm fz5 adapter but for macro that isn't necessary. You may need a step ring, however.


Quote:
Is taking macro shots difficult without manual focus?
No, auto focus works as well. Either way, you will lock focus and move physically slightly closer or further to obtain maximum focus.

Quote:
Do you have to use the "macro" setting on the camera for macro shots?
No, although you can. Aperture priority is best, so you can go to f8 and get the greatest dof.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:58 AM.