Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:42 PM   #1

Hi,
I got inspired by the previous moon-research. Here's another shot taken a few hours ago (FZ30+TCON17 again) that pinpoints the place of the first moonlanding 1969 and some other places as well.It's shot in color (the previous was black&white).
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:12 PM   #2

Excellent shot, could you post your settings, I have recently been having a go with my TCON17 too, but with less success:
Attached Images

Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:41 PM   #3

Seedubs,
It just looks like your image is a bit overexposed.My settingswere these
Aperture: f 5,6
ISO: 80
Shutter speed: 1/160 s
EV -0,66.

However, I think the key is to use spot metering on the surface andcheck that there's no highlight clippinginthe review (enable HIGHLIGHT in the SETUP menu). Also, there must be absolutely zero camera shake. I tried before using thetimer set to two seconds but it wasn't enough (at least for my shaky tripod). Use a remote control or the timer set at ten seconds.

The only postprocessing done, beside a full size crop, is two 'sharpen'.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:34 PM   #4

Many thanks, I will give those settings a go, I have never used the Highlight feature before. Just out of interest, do you leave your white balance on auto, what about your noise compensation settings? I havnt messed with those and I think they are defaulted to Medium.

I did notice one thing when using the self timer, I would use manual focus to get it just so, and set the timer and just before the picture was taken, the camera would sort of try and re-focus and it was very hit and miss as to whether the picture was in focus or slightly out? I have recently purchased a remote shutter, so hopefully this will solve that problem, any ideas what could cause that?

Oh and was that at 8 MP and full zoom?

I have had a play with that one in photoshop, adjusted the exposure and sharpened a little, looks better but I expect if it wasnt burnt out to start with , it would be easier to do, anyhow here it is.

Anyway, once I get some clear skies I shall attempt another shot.

Many thanks

Chris
Attached Images

Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:06 PM   #5

Chris, white balance is auto, noise suppressionis unchangedat medium (hmmm, I should probably turn that down...). I've tried RAW format as well but am a bit of a rookie regarding processing such, it seems like the camera gets better results than mewhen doingJPGs.

Yes, with auto focusat max zoom and a roughtarget, it mighteasily start searching on an extra push when self timing... it'sbetter with a remote. I'm using 3MP mode,it makes iteasier to review and for spot metering when gettingthe maximum target size on the LCD.

So we just need some clear skies then :roll:
/Per