Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:37 PM   #1

Went out to a local Model Plane field today and tried out my FZ5 w/ my home made RDS Adapter (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=78303&forum_id=23). I amazed myself in that I probably had 80+% success in having the subject partially/fully in the photo frame.

Wound up taking over 800 photos (2-batteries) with about 160 being OOF (Digis are nice - Delete button is cheap and a 1GB card holds 400+ photos!). I found that even with good light, using 'P' sometimes did not have enough shutter speed to stop the fast moving images; even with panning.

I wound up going to Shutter-Priority and trying 1/500 to 1/800 secs and started having better success. Only after getting home did it dawn on me that I should have tried going to ISO100.

But, then again, that was my purpose today - try getting used to framing with the RDS mount, vary the settings and see what works and what doesn't. It also helps give one an idea of what distances will gve one a good zoomed photo w/details and what distances won't.
Most all photos were with a FZ5 + TCON17 at varying zooms.

A few nifty photos that were actually in fairly good focus

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

And its unfortunate 'hard landing' a while later..."

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

For a perspective on how large these model planes are...

Using Burst Mode (High):

Had a great sequence burst shots of a crash...

And one that is at moment before impact---

For those that are masochistic, all of the photos can be viewed at:
http://iciclelanding.com/aperture?see_as=974&user=653&view=albumlis t

As always, feel free to comment, critique or offer suggestions!
--
Telecorder
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links