Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:21 AM   #11

20x30? for prints that big, Will, you're right... no substitute for pixels. but that's practically a billboard, and most folks never print anything larger than 8x10. heck, i've only gone bigger than 11x14 once, and that pic completely dominates the wall above my fireplace! by the time you put a mat and frame on even a 16x20, it takes up a lot of wall space, and not many people want to go to that much trouble and expense. if i can make avery nice 16x20 with 5MP, even with a bit of upsampling, that's as big as i need to go... if the day comes i do start making money with my photos - or can persuade Metro to stick one on the side of a bus -then i'll look into spending the $3000 or so for a DSLR and a couple of decent lenses... till then, though, my budget dictates amore modest approach! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:49 AM   #12

I'm running with a 6.1 mp Kodak til I can afford the FZ30, and you know, you have that once in 5,000 pictures that turns out so stunning you HAVE to have it printed off huge to show it off (I have a grand total of two... 10,000 pictures). I'm stretching it with 6 mp, and they're not 20x30, but instead 16x24 (or something like that). Most places that want to buy pictures expect nothing less than full 6.1 MP with fine compression. I just want to earn a little money on the side to pay for my overly expensive hobby :|.
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:38 AM   #13

Getting back to the main subject (what improvements are coming for the FZ line), I was not aware of the new "high sensitivity" mode on the new Venus Engine Plus (fmoore had mentioned). I will be very curious to see some samples from the new LZ cameras. I would not mind losing a little detail in favor of higher ISO from time to time for indoor shooting situations. Personally, I think the high ISO shots taken with some of Fuji's newer offerings look pretty decent. Essentially, it just looks like some built in aggressive noise reduction, which would save time over PP.

I am an educated enoughconsumer to understand the megapixel debate, and so I agree that 5 MP is plenty for everything I do. Upgrading to the FZ30 would have nothing to do with bumping up to 8 MP. Essentially, the LCD resolution and improved ergonomics are all I care about. But again, maybe I will wait to see what this "high sensitivity" mode can do before I make a final decision. If the overall image quality of the 30 is the same as the 20, then that's good enough for me. Is there anyone else here who thinks the 20 has an edge in image quality?
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:33 PM   #14

I am an FZ30 owner and having read all there is to it about this camera and it's direct competitors I must say that there is not much this Panasonic is missing.
First of all, I think that the low-light noise issues should be adressed by the upcoming FZ40. Allthough, it is hard to see how they can manage the balance between great Leica lens and bigger sensor. I definetely think that Pana will go the extra megapixels for FZ30's successor, even if most of us agree that this would be a marketing strategy above all else.
I would like to see more capable battery life and a change from mov type filming to mpeg or avi. I, for one, enjoy shooting a little home made movie once in a while and feel that mpeg is more popular than mov format. If they could manage [email protected] would be awesome but 640x480 works great as it is. Also, I would like the LCD to swing both ways not only from left side. It would be really incredible if they put a Canon-like LCD swing on the FZ40 but I doubt that very much.
I'm looking forward to see what they come up with for the FZ40 and if the situation calls, I might consider an upgrade (yeat, somehow, I really doubt it will).
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:49 AM   #15

You Dont Know What Your Missing Super Camera .stockport England.
nozama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:57 AM   #16

In the end, I did the math, and decided to upgrade. Above all else, the primary reason for me is to be able to use the manual focus more effectively, and the lcd on the FZ30 makes it that much better. Of course, having better ergonomics, and a few new extra fetures doesn't hurt! Thank to all for some great discussion.
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:10 PM   #17

I find it ironic in my trasition from the FZ20 to the FZ30 that I'm using the manual focus less on the 30. Perhaps I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet but I'm getting a lot of misses when using manual focus, especially outdoors. Throw in that the FZ30 AF is so fast and accurate, I'm finding that I'm using AF a lot more which is frustrating knowing that the ring is there and I should be using it more.

I do prefer the manual focus indoors when taking pictures in my make-shift studio of small electronics but for indoor snapshots and outdoor zooms, I find that I prefer the AF a lot more than I did on the FZ20
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:03 PM   #18

Yeah, I found that out too. It is much more practical to use the AF outdoors while indoors the MF works like a charm.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:54 PM   #19

Hi, for me optical viev finder , and divx movies , and little bit less noise. And I will change my love from fz30 to next model.
kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:44 AM   #20

Come to think of it, I would really like to see on the FZ40 that awesome "Night Mode" that my last Sony V3 had. That thing was really awesome in low light conditions.