Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:25 PM   #1

I'm currently an FZ20 owner and I love my camera. However, I recently had a chance to play with an FZ30. Wow, I was so impressed with the improvements. The grip is more comfortable, the flip out LCD, and I loved the exposure control dials on the front and back of the hand grip. I think the most important improvement, honestly, is the higher resolution LCD. I can't tell you how many times I think I have a good focus on something, only to find an extremely soft image when uploaded to my computer. The auto-focus assist isa nice feature,but on a screen like the FZ20's, that enlarged center area is not resolute enough to give me an accurate focus. It becomes a judgement call, that I only get right, I would say, 30-50 percent of the time. So, I think I decided to upgrade to the 30. The focus ring on that camera "feels" better to me and the screen/EVF leave no doubt as to whether or not I am focused correctly. I am not an ultra serious photographer,so I expect the30 couldeasily meet my needs for years and years to come.

Question, is it worth waiting for the FZ40 (or whatever is next)? What direction will Panny go? Larger sensor/less noise? Maybe the 16:9 sensor on the LX1? What other major improvements does anyone see coming? Should I hold out? Like I said, the 30 would probably meet my needs for a long time (as would the 20 if it weren't for the LCD), but I don't want to short change myself. I doubt we'll ever see a large sensor/low noise camera in this line anyway, because they would have to drop the 35-420 mm to keep the lense size manageable (like Sony's RD-1), and frankly, I don't mind using neat image from time to time. Can I get some thoughts on this?
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:07 PM   #2

Only you can make that choice....but since you have seen the added features...Do you want to miss 9 months without those features.....My guess is it will be somewhere around 9 months.

But then Maybe the FZ6 will offer a lot of those features.....if its not a financial burden why not enjoy the features now?

If your luck is like mine as soon as you order a new camera there will be another new camera, or if you wait it will be a long time till the next model.

For picture quality the FZ20 is still darn good.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:48 PM   #3

Where did you get a chance to play with the FZ30? I can't find either the FZ30 or the FZ20 in stores.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:39 PM   #4

Here are the announced dates of the Panasonic DMC-FZ series uzi cameras. The single digit models are the more compact. The double digit are the larger full featured models.

FZ1 9/02 FZ10 8/03
FZ2 8/03 FZ15/20 7/04
FZ3 7/04 FZ30 7/05
FZ4/5 2/05

From this one would expect the FZ6 to be announced in a month or two. Panyjustintroduced the DMC-LZ3 and LZ5 (LZ=low zoom; ergo, FZ=full zoom?) which are 6ximage stabilizedand feature a High Sensitvity modefor iso800-1600with the new VenusEnginePlus processor. The higher iso seems to be accomplished in a similar fashion to the FZ30 extended zoom feature; ie,a reduction in noise via a reduction in resolutionwith some hocus pocus performed by the new processor. This method of achieving higher iso could be a feature of the FZ6 along with the extended zoom perhaps. I guess they'll try to squeez another mp onto the same sensor to justify giving the name FZ6 but the higher iso will be its selling point, IMO. Maybe a flip lcd and non-extending (unexposed) lens, but they would detract from the compactness.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:52 PM   #5

as a fellow FZ20 owner, i concur. the FZ20 is a very capable camera that can provide stunning images, but it does have limitations.the relatively low-resolution EVF/LCD is certainly one of them, especially in manual focus mode, which is one reason i rely heavily on AF (that and the fact that my eyesight ain't what it used to be, and the camera can probably "see" better than i can anyway! ). i've handled an FZ30 myself, and while i was definitely impressed with the higher resolution and improved brightness of the EVF, and the flip-out LCD offers some handy - if not necessary - flexibility,i was generally not moved by the experience to shell out the additional money. the FZ30 offers no significant improvement in image quality, though 8MP files can make larger prints, they aren't any better or less noisy than those from the '20, and many of the "enhancements" offered by the FZ30 were not things i felt any need to have. so i'm holding out to see what the FZ40 brings. i'm hoping for either a larger sensor (which might entail some loss of zoom capability), or, better still, a reduction in MP with the same size sensor, which would effectively reduce pixel density and therefore noise. or, perhaps Panny can find a way to keep the same sensor and pixel count and cut noise through the use of advanced electronics... that'd be fine too. and if they could find a way to reduce, if not eliminate, the "EVF freeze-up" problem that has so many folks adapting red-dot gun sights to their cameras asa work-around, that would be a major step forward.

meanwhile, i'm content enough with my FZ20 that i feel no overpowering need to buy a newer model just because it's a newer model. when i find one that represents a real '"upgrade", or solves the problems i personally experience or that are important for the kinds of photography i do, then i will consider shelling out my cash. given that the FZ40 will probably make its debut somewhere in the world within the next 6 months or so, i don't feel the wait is excessive, so i'm reserving judgement till i see what the '40 has to offer.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:54 PM   #6

Hi, I bought Fz30 I stated from... Zenith, mobile phone "camera" , then Kodak 2Mpix, Trust 3Mpix and.... Fz30. Now everything depend WHAT and HOW I will take picture and I don't care about camera (I'm not enough good to use this camera "profesional"). I'm playing with Fz30 3 weeks and I meet my friend with Canon 20D. I hadn't ANY problem to make really good shots with ANY light conditions using Canon(I't took me about 15 min to know buttons and menus...). Fz30 will be my camera for a loooong time.

Like I say . Every thing depend (could anybody corect grammar in last sentece especially )

Thanks
kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:36 PM   #7

squirl, I agree with you very much.

I have printed out 8x10 pictures from the FZ-5, FZ-20 and FZ-30 and,while the FZ-30 is a more user friendly camera, the image quality is not significantly better than the previous models, at all(infactI think the 5 and 20offer better pictures inambient light).I am torn over spending the extra money for the 30.

To me, photography...whether usingtraditional silver halide photos or digital, are aboutthe images and image quality, period. It would be very nice for Panasonic to keep the awesome features and ergonomics of the FZ-30, keep the same sensor size as the FZ-30, butreduce the pixel count to the 6.0 MP range to getbetter quality images. But consumers not knowledgeable enough might consider this a step backwards.

I would venture to say that most people purchasing digicams are driven by other purchase motivaters than thephotographic enthusiasm displayed by the knowledgeable and helpful people here. More megapixels will probably be the next step to entice continuing sales. --K
kmancpbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:54 PM   #8

yeah, the average digicam user sees more megapixels and automatically thinks, "better picture". most of 'emhave no concept of "noise" as a photographic phenomenon and seldom print anything larger than 4x6 anyway! as i've stated before, once you get beyond a certain point - 5 or 6 MP for most knowledgeable photographers - megapixels are just a marketing tool. the more they can claim they have, the better chance they have of winning the marketing wars. and that is what it's all about to them... like everything else, it's all about the money.

Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:56 PM   #9

kreciu wrote:
Quote:
Like I say . Every thing depend (could anybody corect grammar in last sentece especially )

Thanks
Kreciu, the phrase in American English is "it all depends". and don't worry too much abou the grammar... i understand you just fine. i'm sure you're learning more every day, and before long, you'll be sounding like a native! :G

Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:03 AM   #10

At some point, more megapixels are necessary, especially when one considers a more professional route. Anyway, if they do, they're likely to buy a DSLR instead of a Panasonic hybrid-type. For now, until I start to make money with my pictures, I would rather have more pixels (albeit only slightly better in quality) to work with without having to resize a picture larger to get the 20x30 print i need :?. Just a preference. I think it's better to size down than to size up, and the FZ30 looks pretty nice anyway, great zoom and lenses on a decent sensor. 8mp is good too.
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote