Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:51 PM   #1

Getting ready to order my FZ30 tonight and thought I would ask you guys what are the MUST have when owning a FZ30. Dont have the $$$ to order everything, but what are the things you should have when getting your new camera? I figured a new bag, more memory (What do you suggest.) ect....Tripod, I already have from my (Film)SLR days.

Thanks...
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:25 PM   #2

I recommend you an UV filter, that you can use as an all-time-shield for your lens.
Also a backup battery is nice to have.

I have also ordered my FZ30 last week, but I decided not to order a bag. I want to go to a local photography store with the cam and check their bags out myself.
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:40 PM   #3

1 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card. It's got a lot of space, is fast enough for video and RAW, and can be found pretty cheap. There's also a version out there that doubles as a USB storage drive (you can hook the SD card directly into a USB port) which can be pretty handy.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:51 PM   #4

I would get a spare import battery off ebay - about $30. and I found a good case with room to spare at a local shop for $25. Another vote for the 1G SD card, and the UV filter. I went with the best UV filter I could find - multicoated and a wear resistant outer layer. Remember - this is going to go on and stay on. It will save the front surface of your Leica lens so that it will NEVER have to be cleaned. If you are into bird photography, a TCON17, and a RedDot sight could be useful - $100, $30. A import remote control can be handy - $20 (ebay again). There are some wireless remote homebrew units you can get details on the dpreview Panny forum. A basic monopod is useful in low light or extreme tele. A shoe mounted flash (ask before you buy a used one, voltage can be a problem) if you are into indoor action pics. A USB SD card readerfor your computer (you do have one of those don't you) is very useful. That list should take care of your spare change for 2006. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:39 AM   #5

Hi, I've got my Fz30 with UV filter. Without bag and battery. I'm using 256 mb, really old SD memory card (I can record movies in 640x480/30fps). Battery is enough fot all day (not continous...:-)). And I'mtaking pictures all the time .

I'm planning to buy 1Gb or may be 2, case, and battery, but not necessrily now...
kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6

I second the Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB cardand the UV filter. Wait until you get the camera and whateveraccessories you want beforeto get your bag. I just bought a new, bigger, camera bag because I take most of my pictures outdoors and the bag I got with the camera was too small for the camera with lens hood on it. I got tired of constantly putting it on and off while I washiking. The new case is nice because it's big enough for a table top tripod, and I've been using that more and more (has improved my photos quite a bit).

I have a full-sizedtripod that I never use - too big and clunky to go hiking with (to be fair, I got it for a big, heavy full-sized VHS camcorder years ago) and I've been thinking of getting a monopod to accompany my little table top, rather than a light full-sized tripod.

The other thing I'd like to get is a linear polarizer. I got a real cheap circular polarizer that is not much more than a ND filter - what I get for impulsively buying it at Best Buy instead of a camera store!

Good luck with your new camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:57 PM   #7

Don't forget thrift shops for a camera bag

I found a Lowe Pro bag at Goodwill once for $5!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:53 PM   #8

Well, first of all, you'd need a camera bag. That's pretty important. And you'd have to be sure that it's got room enough for everything you want to carry along with your camera and, at the same time, provide the needed protection.
I think that you'd need a bigger card than that 32MB joke they give you. I got a 2GB A-Data 150x just to be on the safe side. But, depending on your needs, you would have to judge for yourself just how big of a card you actually need. I primarely got this card because I like using the movie mode capabilities of the camera and that takes some memory space.
And I think that you would need an UV filter that can double as dust protection for the lens.
Hope this was helpful.
Happy shooting!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:57 AM   #9

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget thrift shops for a camera bag

I found a Lowe Pro bag at Goodwill once for $5!

I found that camera bags were really expensive, so I made my own .I still use it today and It holds all my kit.

here is a how to

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=tommysdad

TD

I`m a kodak man, but the FZ30 is callin to me everytime I see a picture of it :G
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:06 AM   #10

I don't really think that you need to buy the 100$ bag. There are plenty of bags out there for 20$ or less that can fit the need. I mean, after all, the FZ30 is not a DSLR so you don't usually carry that many lenses and whatnot with you anyway.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote