Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:48 PM   #1

Here we are in the dead of winter and it was 60° F today in Philly. Nice weather, nice moon.

FZ5 w/ oly tcon17 at 12x, f5, 1/200s, iso80, ev -1.33; 100% crop, no other pp

FZ5 w/ tcon17 atsame settings as above; no crop, resized only

It was so nice out,a dandelion came up to see what was going on.

FZ5 at 1x in macro mode

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:28 PM   #2

I never paid attention but I never figured you for Philly

And it was about 55 in Pittsburgh

Nice photos.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:38 PM   #3

darn nice shots, Fred... i wish we had that kind of weather here. hasn't been a day without rain since Christmas, pretty much... makes it tough to get out and do anything worthwhile - photographically speaking, of course!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:42 PM   #4

Squirl - Sposed to be nice all week.Come on over. Pick up Gene on the way.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:26 PM   #5

Beautiful moon shot, Fred, and I'm going to write down your settings for future use - thanks! The dandelion looks like a plant that people would admire and buy at the nursery, and I really like the shot of it. I've ordered the RAYNOX RT5264P from an eBay seller. I'm interested in seeing if it will work with the Ricoh TC 200 without the "surgical procedure" on the FZ4 adapter. I don't want to get my hack saw out unless I have to :lol:.
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:45 PM   #6

bejoweth wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to write down your settings for future use - thanks! The dandelion looks like a plant that people would admire and buy at the nursery, and I really like the shot of it. I've ordered the RAYNOX RT5264P from an eBay seller. I'm interested in seeing if it will work with the Ricoh TC 200 without the "surgical procedure" on the FZ4 adapter. I don't want to get my hack saw out unless I have to :lol:.
Betty - Those settings work pretty good for a 3/4 moon, also spot focus. A full moon is so bright that 1/400s is more in order making handheld even easier. This was a "wild" dandelion (is there another kind?). Doubtful they would be available in a nursery.

As for the rt5264p, it certainly will work with the ricoh but be careful in colder weather due to theslight decrease diameter of the plastic versus the aluminum. A felllow over at dpreview had the raynox adapter come close to slipping off the unmodified stock fz5 adapter while on the Great Wall of China in very cold weather. See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16653407

Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:34 PM   #7

I'm very tempted to purchase one of these converters for my FZ5. Sounds like the TCON-17 is amazing, but perhaps a tad heavy for the flimsy plastic adaptor that comes with the FZ5.

I've read the 'tutorials' regarding sanding the adaptor. This is your chance to talk me out of this!

Ken
Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:39 AM   #8

Ken Rogers wrote:
Quote:
I'm very tempted to purchase one of these converters for my FZ5. Sounds like the TCON-17 is amazing, but perhaps a tad heavy for the flimsy plastic adaptor that comes with the FZ5.

I've read the 'tutorials' regarding sanding the adaptor. This is your chance to talk me out of this!
I'll be happy to talk you into it. I was using the above noted modificationon these fz5/tcon17 moon shots and the connectionwas very secure. I wouldn'twalkaround nonchalantly with the tcon17 connected to the fz5. It's not only a tad heavy (though not real heavy compared to some other tcons) but it's center of gravity is a ways from the camera. Handle it with care. Although I use the 52mm filter casing modification, I think a 55mm uv filter screwed into the slightly sanded down adapter will result in a secure enough connection with the tcon17.

Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:45 AM   #9

Fred, thanks for the "cold weather warning". I'll be very carefulto keep a grip on the converter, and I can do the "hacksaw surgery" ifit doesn't feel secure. We usually don't get cold temps here in the deep South, and if we do, I'm inside:Gby the heater. I thought it would be nice to leave the 55mmFZ4 adapter ringsavailable forthe Oly B macroand0+ Minolta closeup lens which I'll use for insect pics next Summer.
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:03 AM   #10

Can anyone tell me what tele converters can be used with the fz5, if I elect to go with something smaller?Someone mentioned using an oly c-210. Does a teleconverter only need to be 55mm (or 52 usingthe filter casing modification)?

Here's what I thought I might try: OLYMPUS Telephoto Lens C-210 IS 35mm SLR Series. Will it work? Is this 52mm, attachable with a UV filter (as per the tuturials)?

Ken

Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote