Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:13 PM   #11

I think you have a good eye and take some lovely photos. The misty Beach really speaks to me. It's all about individual preference I think.

I can't offer you any advice though sorry as you are already a much better photographer than I. Keep up the great work.

Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:33 PM   #12

I like them all except #19, which needed a larger area in-focus I think.

I'm one of those guys who does not like or do much PP, and so I like to shoot in autobracketing mode, more choices with fewer blown highights

Overall I really like your choice of pictures and how you framed them, lovely country!
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:27 AM   #13

Thanks for the suggestions, especially about bracketing. I think I'll try that for a while - most (but not all) of those I posted were taken using raw because it seemed like I could control it better. However, today when I was out shooting with both cameras (posted a separate topic with a link to crops of the 2 cameras) I used jpg and the only ones that didn't come out well were either taken by the Sony or ones that I just didn't think worked. I've been switching between -1/3 and -2/3, or going to 0 if the subject is in shade. I'm getting better at anticipating which one will work, but auto bracketing is much easier - I had forgotten about that! And it will help because I often like high contrast pictures (I've been just accepting that some parts will blow out, but I shouldn't do that, should I? Come to think of it, the "texture" I'm looking for could be missing because I'm blowing out too much?

I can't tell you how much you guys have helped me - thanks so much!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:34 AM   #14

Do you use the histogram? Just remember that if anything stacks up against the right side, you will probably have blown highlights in the photo. ANd I always start with -1/3 and then I use autobracket, at least outdoors in any sort of bright conditions.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:54 AM   #15

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
How can I change where the focus/exposure square is?

Go into Menuto change both the metering area and the focus areas...

For the "focus square" you actually press the Focus button to the left of the lens, keep it pressed while you can toggle and choose one of nine squares to focus on. You must be in 1-point AF mode to use this feature. As far as exposure is concerned, I don;t think you can choose an area other than by using spot focusing and pointing at the area you would like to use for you autoexposure. Then you can press the AE lock button and change the composition of your image. Remember you want to always point at a median lit area to get correct autoexposure, not points that are very bright or very dark, otherwise you'll have to use the exposure compensation feature to get it right.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:14 AM   #16

Ooops... my bad; Rduve is correct, as usual.

I was referencing focus on my FZ5.:OI'm still working up to the FZ30 budget
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:53 AM   #17

Hey!!, your picts look great.

As mentioned, Rule of Thirds could help you a lot. Same happens to me, often I'm to focused fon exposure and focusing that I forget to frame correctly. I suggest you to use a tripod, view the image on the LCD (not viwfinder) and imagine you are looking at a postcard, how can you frame it to make it look the best?. Once you have found the "perfect" framing, then set the exposure, focus, and shoot!!

It takes more time, but it has worked for me.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote