Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:09 PM   #11

poor squirl,

- start some nonsense (as I did with the 1111 thread, it's raining here too!)
- rain shots (perfect with our reduced contrast range)
- try to sell more pictures and tell us how you did it
- post some shots in a real critical forum, where all shots get ratings (hard job).

Good luck

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:41 PM   #12

thanks, all, for the suggestions! i may try to get out this weekend to an indoor venue, perhaps see if i can get something worthwhile in spite of the miserable weather. or maybe i'll just take a drive and try to get some shots of the flooded golf courses and overflowing rivers all this rain has caused! time to break out the saran wrap for my FZ20... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:08 PM   #13

And speaking of bad weather, how resistant do you think a FZ30 (or for that matter a FZ20) is to rain water? I'm not talking buckets load, just a few drops here and there...

Been having some weird weather here too. As a matter of fact, the seasons are all mixed up for several years now and are not what they used to be. Don't exacty know where to point the blaming finger: pollution, global warming etc or all at once.

I was just wondering. In my FZ30's technical book it says that it operates above 0 degrees C and below 40 degrees Celsius (32 degrees F - 104 degrees Fahrenheit). Does anyone have a clue whether the camera becomes defective if one operates it at, say, -10 degrees Celcius? I don't know, are the figures in the technical book absolute truths or are they interpretable?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:49 PM   #14

good question Zygh.

I have certainly used my FZ20 at 0°C or even less.
No problem.

Squirl you have bad weather but great landscapes out of the city, both on the coasts and in the nearby Canadian woods
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:25 PM   #15

i've used my FZ20 in light drizzle with no ill effects, though i try to avoid getting it rained on. if it looks like serious rain... the kind we've been having here of late... i'll wrap it in Saran wrap to keep the water out but still allow manipulation of the controls...

Narmer, yes, we do have beautiful countryside in this area, but when the clouds are the color of lead, hanging 100m above the ground, and it's raining, that countryside doesn't look nearly as pretty. and the light is terrible, too! come spring, when the weather is better, you can bet i'll be out there snapping away...
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:44 AM   #16

Hi squirl,

I' ve been searching around to find some nice pictures for you.
To keep you "waiting" time shorter.
So please look at this:
http://www.naturfotografen-forum.de/...?image_id=9023
http://www.naturfotografen-forum.de/...?image_id=8857

or simply look around...
http://www.naturfotografen-forum.de/...afen/index.php

My goldcrest tries to survive in this forum.

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:54 AM   #17

I have an FZ5 and it operates OK at -10C here in Latvia. I just keep it in the pocket of my down coat while I'm wandering around. Still, the battery life is about half of normal...

lasitajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:32 PM   #18

Does anyone know if there's somekind of transparent plastic cover of somesort that is specially made for the FZ30 in order to protect it from rain/snow/water and still manage access to controls?

I don't really think the FZ30 is that vulnerable but I'm inlove with this camera and I don't want anything bad happening to it :roll:
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:58 PM   #19

hi squirl!
but seattle and the area are really green, right? I saw photos like out of some fantasy or fairy tale dream. Thats because of the rain! Thats the positive!

zygh, I am about to sew such a simple hoody myself because it´s when it´s drizzling that I get into a photographic mood! It can´t be that hard! With plastic thats strong enough not to go flabby down in front of the lens but make a roof. Maybe even soft plastic on the back to access the buttons and double seams!
pixelstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:15 PM   #20

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if there's somekind of transparent plastic cover of somesort that is specially made for the FZ30 in order to protect it from rain/snow/water and still manage access to controls?

I don't really think the FZ30 is that vulnerable but I'm inlove with this camera and I don't want anything bad happening to it :roll:
i don't know of any made for it, but i have tried wrapping my FZ20 in Saran wrap or the equivalent, and that seems to work. the wrap isclingy enough to cover the camera and wrap around the lens leaving just the glass exposed, but also thin and flexible enough to allow easy manipulation of the controls. and, of course, it's cheep... :G might not protect from a complete deluge, but i wouldn't have the camera out in that anyway!