Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:08 AM   #1

Here are the photos I took with both cameras today at the Botanical Gardens. They are all 100% crops, no pp, no resizing, all handheld. It isn't very scientific because of the differences in lenses and mp capability. I used auto white balance and either program or aperture settings. The Panasonic's widest angle is definitely wider than the Sony's. The first thing that surprised me was that there was only one photo (to my eyes) where the Sony had more texture detail than the Panasonic. There was one time where the Sony blew the white balance while the Panasonic was right on every time. I guess I'm getting better at focusing the Panasonic because I missed it once on the Sony where the Panasonic is correctly focused in every one.

If anyone is considering replacing their F717 with a Panasonic, this should give them a some idea of the results they will get (with a little practice).

http://photobucket.com/albums/c238/m...c%20vs%20Sony/
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:15 PM   #2

It's a bit of a stretch comparing these two cameras, for obvious reasons. I guess that if you aren't a F717 owner looking to upgrade, this topic is of no interest.
Anyway, for what it's worth, the pictures more than speak for themselves.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:49 PM   #3

What I found interesting the 717 was praised as being a low noise camera and the FZ30 as a high noise camera and the photos seem very similar in that regard.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:16 PM   #4

Indeed, that might be a valid argument if it hadn't been for the 3 year gap between the two. So, considering this, the F717 holds it's ground admirably.
Still, the FZ30 has some features that give it the lead, no doubt about it.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:43 PM   #5

Although a nice comparison, you would need a wider range of photos to make an informed decision, these all appear to be macros etc, but I still think the pany comes out favourable.

Chris
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:14 PM   #6

I figured that I'm not the only F717 owner that is (sadly, at least for me) looking for a replacement, and will end up considering the FZ30.

My first reaction with the Panasonic was disappointment, andthat it wasn't even as good as my old Sony (thought about trying to find an R1 with a tele and seeing if I could live with it).The Panasonic is quitedifferent than the F717 (at least to me)and I had problems getting used to it (the Sony is a very forgiving camera).

I always thought that the Sony was best at macro, so now that I'm getting used to the Panasonic I thought I would compare them again. And this time I was very happy to see that the FZ30 stood up very well to the F717, and I'm now at peace with the Panasonic.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:37 PM   #7

About Macros: what distance from subject and zoom with FZ30?

PS
FZ30 seems to have a bit more CA than FZ20.
(In everything else the former is better than the latter, imo, judging from images and amount of PP they need)

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:28 AM   #8

It was interesting to look at this album today - 2 of the Panasonic comparison photos didn't upload right (I'll go back and do something about that tonight) and I wasn't fair with the berries - when I looked at the exif information I noticed that the panasonic one I posted was zoomed in while the Sony wasn't (cropped the wrong photo).

The first flower was in a tree andmaybe 20 feet away. The F717 was at max zoom, and I tried to make the FZ30 have a similar zoom. The next 2 flowers were very small and I was only a couple of inches away (just enough so that the lens didn't cast a shadow), widest angle possible for both cameras. The leaves were overhead, at least 10 or more feet away, Sony at max zoom and a similar zoom with the Panasonic (yes, there is a bit of a camera shake - it's hard to use the viewfinder and shoot something over your head for any length of time). The fuzzy flowers were maybe a foot away or a littlelessand I used widest angle for both cameras. The last yellow flower was another tiny one and was taken from a couple of inches away. As I noticed today, the berries were at a short distance and while I took comparable shots, the one I cropped for the FZ30 version was much more zoomed in - not fair at all.

I'm happy that the Panasonic isn't the step backwards that I originally thought it was.