Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:15 AM   #1

I guess my model plane RDS training is paying some dividends... Driving to a site this morning in SoCal mountains and spotted this guy on a pole off the road. I was able to get some photos before he took off but I was able to get some half way decent RDS BIF shots off before he got out of range. Now I just have to remember to half depress the shutter and hold for the AF rather than firing away!
Am I correct on the Red Tail Hawk ID or...?

Any comments, critiques or suggestions much appreciated!

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

On the way home, spyed this guy off of Interstate 5 south or Bakersfield, CA...

--
Telecorder
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:29 AM   #2

I am no expert but it looks like a red tail to me.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:02 PM   #3

Telecorder, Here is a picture of a Red Tail Hawk which looks alot like your picture so we can assume you made a good identification. Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:11 PM   #4

Thanks, Tiger; Now all I have to do is get the sharpness, focus and detail that you were able to get and I'll be a happy camper! I'm still having brain farts in the heat of the moment about remembering to half-depress for the AF to do its job
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:07 PM   #5

My question is what is the white bird? I've seen them before occasionally, but only from a moving vehicle, it seems. Not bad for having so much backlighting on the white bird (whatever he is).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:27 PM   #6

mtngal-

Its my understanding itsa Great Egret...

I actually saw this group off of I5 coming back from Buttonwillow just south of 58 where the marshes are. I pulled over and grabbed the FZ5/TCON17 and shot a few photos. As luck would have it, the closest to me and my first shot is what some call a KFC shot (Chicken Parts)...

:G
Attached Images