Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:19 PM   #1

I'm new with diggys. I have a Panasonic FZ-5. And, we use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. We got our first prints back from Walmart the other day. They looked nice but we are not efficent. We did a ton of work in Adobe that i am not sure was necessary. Next time, i'm thinking of skipping Adobe, and taking a CD into walmarts printer/computer and making my edits on it. Even after the edits on Adobe - the gal that helped me at Walmart - changed many things. Otherwise, heads would have been chopped in half (ie. cropping). The cropping looked fine on our PC but she said something about resizing that happens when we put the CD into their printer/computer. Anyway, please look at my data taken from Adobe and let me know what is going on. My comments are in brackets below:

HISTOGRAM: 4915200 PIXELS [what does this mean? Good or bad regarding the print quality i would get with a 4 x6 print?]

When i CLICKED ON 'RESIZE' AND THEN CLICKED 'IMAGE SIZE' - it gave me the following info:

PIXELS DIMENSIONS: 14.1 M [good? bad? what does this mean?]
WIDTH: 2560 PIXELS
HEIGHT: 1920 PIXELS

[is the above the best settings i can have on my camera? therefore, this is a good reading?]

DOCUMENT SIZE:
WIDTH: 35.556 INCHES
HEIGHT: 26.667 INCHES
RESOLUTION: 72 PIXELS/INCH

[why does it list the document size as sooooo big??? And, isn't a resolution of 72 very poor quality? The wife and I changed the width and height and resolution on all the above - we told it 4 x 6 with a resolution of 480. The prints looked good but it sure was a lot of work individually changing all of those settings - would they have printed out just as nice if we left it with the 72 pixels setting and the 35 x 26 h/w?]

dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:09 PM   #2

Pay attention to the crop section of this

http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/howt...pselements.htm

And I would say do not resize you can change the dpi to 250 to 300 but do not resample.

and 14.1 is just what it should say ....here is a link as to how you change the resolution.

This is in PS but should be very similar to elements

This is a 72 dpi note the size

This is 200 dpi again not the size

300 dpi note size

You just change the dpi and do not resample then you can crop the photo to 4 X 6 or5 X 7 or whatever you wish.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:19 AM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
Pay attention to the crop section of this

http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/howt...pselements.htm

**Thank you for the link.

And I would say do not resize you can change the dpi to 250 to 300 but do not resample.
Quote:
** Is the dpi that you refer to the the"Resolution" pixels per inch thing?

and 14.1 is just what it should say ....here is a link as to how you change the resolution.
Quote:
**What does that mean? The 14.1. Is this the best that my pany can shoot? I'm only interested in shooting good pics that will eventually be printed. i'm not posting things to the net or any other such thing.
Quote:
This is in PS but should be very similar to elements

This is a 72 dpi note the size

This is 200 dpi again not the size

300 dpi note size

You just change the dpi and do not resample then you can crop the photo to 4 X 6 or5 X 7 or whatever you wish.
Quote:
**Wow. It amazing how you were able to provide those examples! Thanks a bunch. I'm curious - why does it show it in such a BIG SIZE to begin with? IE. the 35 x 26 thing.
Quote:
If i leave it at these default settings (i'm assuming they are default - the numbers that i provided in the first post) will it still print fine 4 x 6 when i take them to Walmart? As stated above - I dont want to spend a lot of time editing. If i have to change ever photo to dpi of 300 because it keeps defaulting to 72 - that is going to be very inefficient.
Quote:
I'm looking for an efficient way to get the pics printed off my cd's. So far, i'm thinking take the cd to Walmart - and do my minor crops/edits on their pc/printer would be the fastest way for me to do things. Then, as my skills increase (i teach school and will have plenty of time in the summer to learn about Elements - however right now, my time is limited) i can try Elements on selected photos. But for my point and shoot life style, it appears to me that doing editing at Walmart might be the best way for me. Last time i edited for hours in Elements at home - took the cd to Walmart and found out that many of my edits - had to be RE-editted once there otherwise some heads would have been cut in half (things looked fine on my monitor at home but that wasn't the case when viewed at Walmart on their machine). I found this to be frustrating. Like the time spent with Elements was wasted because i had to do 75 percent of them over on the WalMart printer/computer.
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for your help. Please be patient with me. I'm kind of slow! ;-)
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:21 AM   #4

Let me give you a couple links that explain this, I think..

My self I like to do the resize myself as I can get exactly what I want and its not difficult but would require a bit of concentration to get the concept ...then it will only take seconds to do,

http://www.arraich.com/ref/resolution.htm

And this is just elements scroll down to resize

http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_hhow1.htm#resize

But if you feel comfortable doing it a Walmart, it is really the same thing.

The question of why the large size is ...that is what the monitor can display 72dpi...but that has nothing to do with the way it prints unless you would force it to print that way.

I am having a hard time explaining this but if you change the resolution to 300 it will still display the same on a monitor as72 is the best the monitor can display.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:37 AM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the links. Will print them out later. And, i think i get what you mean regarding the monitor.
Quote:
And, i understand that it is hard to explain. As the image goes from different mediums (camera, PC, Walmart) some funky stuff occurs in the process/exchanges!
Quote:
So, basically if i IGNORE what Elements is telling me ( I see the 72 and think "thats bad! i don't wont my prints to be a 72 i want them to be at least a 300") and fix red-eye and crop pics - that even if it shows 72 resolution and a size of 35x26 - it will most likely make a good quality print of 4x6?
Quote:
Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it.
Quote:
Let me give you a couple links that explain this, I think..

My self I like to do the resize myself as I can get exactly what I want and its not difficult but would require a bit of concentration to get the concept ...then it will only take seconds to do,

http://www.arraich.com/ref/resolution.htm

And this is just elements scroll down to resize

http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_hhow1.htm#resize

But if you feel comfortable doing it a Walmart, it is really the same thing.

The question of why the large size is ...that is what the monitor can display 72dpi...but that has nothing to do with the way it prints unless you would force it to print that way.

I am having a hard time explaining this but if you change the resolution to 300 it will still display the same on a monitor as72 is the best the monitor can display.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:55 AM   #6

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
genece wrote:
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the links. Will print them out later. And, i think i get what you mean regarding the monitor.
Quote:
And, i understand that it is hard to explain. As the image goes from different mediums (camera, PC, Walmart) some funky stuff occurs in the process/exchanges!
Quote:
So, basically if i IGNORE what Elements is telling me ( I see the 72 and think "thats bad! i don't wont my prints to be a 72 i want them to be at least a 300") and fix red-eye and crop pics - that even if it shows 72 resolution and a size of 35x26 - it will most likely make a good quality print of 4x6?
Quote:
Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it.

dwelsh7 -

A friendly reminder when posting, its better if, whenyou use the quote reply to highlight what you're replying to,judiciously edit the quoted comments (in greyed box)and thenstart your comments outside of the greyed area (in black area just below the greyed quoted area). Otherwise, your reply gets lost inside the greyed quoted area and its hard to determine which were the original statements and which are your replies. Likewise, be sure to delete/edit any photo URL links as this will repost the image in the thread needlessly...

Keep asking your questions- its likely others (such as myself) have thought the same thing...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:06 AM   #7

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
dwelsh7 -

A friendly reminder when posting, its better if, whenyou use the quote reply to highlight what you're replying to,
Quote:
********HOW? That is why i sometimes make the ******mark before commenting.
Quote:
judiciously edit the quoted comments (in greyed box)and thenstart your comments outside of the greyed area (in black area just below the greyed quoted area).
Quote:
*********Sorry. I still don't get it. I'm slow! ;-)
Quote:
Otherwise, your reply gets lost inside the greyed quoted area and its hard to determine which were the original statements and which are your replies. Likewise, be sure to delete/edit any photo URL links as this will repost the image in the thread needlessly...
Quote:
*****************That i do understand. Thanks. I bolded my comments to make them stand out more. Thanks.
Quote:
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:12 AM   #8

That's an improvement w/the bolding. Keep in mind one doesn't always have to include the quoted statements.

To prevent your replies from being captured in the greyed area, when you hit quote, place your cursor within the greyed area, left click onceand use delete/backspace to remove the words not needed. Then place your cursor below the greyed area in the black area. You may need to scroll down to just where the greyed area ends and there's a small section of black showing - position your cursor on this black area and left-click once. Typing should begin in the black area...
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:22 AM   #9

OK. C how good i'm doing now!? ;-)
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:24 AM   #10

Getting there... Now try quoting this message and posting your comments below the greyed quote area:idea:so your comments are on the black areas and you'll have it!