Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:45 PM   #1

I've got my eye on eBay for one of two models: The TCON-17 and the TL-55. I'm a little nervous about the FZ5 adaptor thread issue, so I'll tryto get a 55mm lens, so all I need to do is some sanding.

Are we allowed to buy and sell on this forum? My apologies if not...

Anyone trying to get rid of one of these models, please contact me at [email protected].

Ken
Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:10 PM   #2

i think selling on this forum is frowned upon. between the two models you've mentioned, i'd recommend the TCON-17. from all i've heard, it's a sharper lens.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3

I just bought a TCON-17 fromJ&R for US $89.88. Currently there's one for sale on eBay, but theyhave beengoingfor over $100 (new).

Ken
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:29 PM   #4

Hi Ken,

I think it okay to inquire...but not to sell.

Best thing is to ask someone to PM you if they have what you seek.

Btw, Olympus Wcon08 wide angle (with 55-62 ring) and Olympus B300 (TC-17) worked fabulously well with my new FZ30!

:idea:

Btw, I had a TL55 for awhile...okay lens but B300 blows it away!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the info!

Ken
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:26 AM   #6

Ken - You made the right decision. You're going to really have fun withthe tcon17. A word to the wise: The threads on the tcon17 are very meagre. Couple that with the recessed fz5 plastic adapter threads and you will have very precarious connection - if you can get one at all. The tcon17 willscrew quitesecurely into a 55mm metal uv filter, or, if you prefer, break the glass out and just use the casing. The uv filter may or may not have enough threads to reach a good connection with the stock fz5 recessed adapter threads. To be on the safe side, sand down the 1mm or so of unthreadedplasticand you should be set to go. Enjoy your new lens.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks. I've read up everything I can regarding the FZ5 adaptor threads. I'm going to sand first and see how the connection feels. If it's not a secure connection, I will buy a metal UV filter with deep threads.

Any recommendations on how to find a UV with deep threads? These specs aren't mentioned in product descriptions (or at least, not that I've seen).

Ken
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:33 PM   #8

Ken Rogers wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to sand first and see how the connection feels. If it's not a secure connection, I will buy a metal UV filter with deep threads.

Any recommendations on how to find a UV with deep threads? These specs aren't mentioned in product descriptions (or at least, not that I've seen).
I think you will find that thedearth of threads on the tcon17is going to present a problem with the plastic adapter threads even with sanding. There simply are not enough threads on the tcon17 to get a decent grip with the plastic and in an effort to do so you may end up damaging the plastic threads. With sanding, the depth of the 55mm male threads on the uv filter become less significant. A 55mm hoya multicoated uv filter (~$20) will work fine. Leave it and the adapter on the fz5 for protection and as a source of metal threads for other add-ons.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:34 PM   #9

MyRaynox RT5264P adapter came today and it was very easy to modify the Panasonic lens hood adapter for a snug fitas illustrated here:

http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm

I'm much more comfortable now withthe metal adapter .

http://groups.msn.com/PanasonicDMCFZ1FZ2FZ3FZ4FZ5
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote