Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:56 PM   #1

I still have a National (yes, Panasonic!) PE-2850 flash which was a much loved tool in my OM1 SLRdays.

I want to use it on my FZ30.

Iwas wondering if there are any known issues or special techniques I should be aware of.

thanks.

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:50 PM   #2

I do believe that the `30 has a maximum flash trigger voltage of 24 volts DC. Check your owners manual. Here`s how ya check the trigger voltage on a flash, with a simple volt meter. Charge up the flash unit so that it`s ready to strobe. Then set the volt meter and meter leads as in the pic below. If the flash trigger voltage exceeds the 24 volts, as shown in the pic, I wouldn`t use it for fear of doing real damage to the camera.
Attached Images

John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:06 PM   #3

That is really a nice photo to explain how to measure the trigger voltage.

If it is too high and the flash is a good one there is a safe sync to use it on a digital camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:21 AM   #4

I thought I had previously read in this forum that the Vivitar 283 was an ok flash to use. Why such a high reading (108.2)? Am I missing something?
RobPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:37 AM   #5

That is really a very old flash unit. I suspect thatover the years Vivitar might have lowered the trigger voltage on the units. My Vivitar 285HV checked out at just under 12 volts, and I use it with my FZ20 all the time. By the way, I did check the flash units with 2 different meters, and both meters gave me the same readings, within a tenth of a volt. You can buy a meter on sale at Sears for around 10~15 dollars.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 4:01 PM   #6

Thank you John for the information and the photo of the test procedure.

I put the meter across the PE2850 and there is a reading of 80 volts so I guess the flash unit could damage the camera.

Too bad, but better that I found out here rather than by trial and expensive error.

Cheers.

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:23 PM   #7

The way my memory is, this is not a guarantee but if that vivitar 283 was made in China its OK....an email to Vivitar and they will tell you one way or the other.

RobPA wrote:
Quote:
I thought I had previously read in this forum that the Vivitar 283 was an ok flash to use. Why such a high reading (108.2)? Am I missing something?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:10 PM   #8

I have a Vivitar 283 from around 1976. When I put a voltmeter across the terminals, I get more than 250 volts. This would fry an FZ in short order. If your 283 has high voltage, you can get a Safe-sync to put on it, and this will reduce the voltage to an acceptable level. Good luck.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote