Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:16 PM   #1

Having had a scan through some of the topics I've come across the expression "EVF freeze-up". Can anyone tell me what this is? Also what does the red dot sight do?

Thanks
ybod29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:31 PM   #2

with the FZ series cameras, the EVF blacks out when you press the shutter, while the camera writes the image data to memory. this makes panning shots very difficult. some folks getaround this byusing a red-dot sight as a tracking device to keep the subject (bird, plane, whatever) in the frame while taking multiple shots in panning mode.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:24 AM   #3

Thanks for reply squirl033. I got the FZ20 in the summer and am still learning lots about it and photography in general as I'm a bit ofa newcomer.

I'm glad to read that other people struggle to manually focus with the FZ20. I thought it was just my eyesight until I read some of the posts. I guess it takes practice too.

Do you know/recommend a Polarising filter that fits directly onto thelens hood? I got one which fits onto an adaptor but it didn't occur to me at the time that I'd want to use it with the lens hood.

Cheers

ybod29
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4

i assume you're referring to the factory plastic lens hood... i don't know of any filters that fit that. most folks buy an adapter, such as the Phayee (which i have), Raynox, or Pemaraal, which accept either 62mm or 52mm accessories. these adapters also position the filters much closer to the front of the lens in its extended position, which reduces the chance of lens flare. they're not terribly expensive - less than $25, usually - and you'll save much of that back on the cost of the filters. plus they'll allow you to use add-ons like close-up lenses or teleconverters to expand the range of your FZ20.

the FZ20 EVF isn't all that great, especially compared to the FZ30, which has twice the resolution. i seldom use manual focus myself, partly because my eyes aren't what they used to be (even with the diopter adjustment on the EV), and partly because the image in the EVF isn't all that sharp to begin with. i suppose if i had an FZ30, i might tend to use it a bit more. i also find that the manual focus assist, which magnifies the center of the image, actually is more hindrance than help - at least to me.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 4:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips Squirl33.