Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:08 PM   #11

....and here is my first test shot with the FZ30. Check out the gate on the right and how soft it is. Also there seems to be a lot more barrel distortion. I am using the CRing, by the way, not a step ring.

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:42 AM   #12

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
[b]
Here is a dpreview thread showing a stitched 360 degree pan with the fz30/6600.¬* It does exhibit a slight bit of softness at the edges but¬*close to¬*insignificant, IMO.¬* See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16611523
What software did he use to do that?

Can one make a panorama shot only with the FZ30 and software alone?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:15 AM   #13

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Can one make a panorama shot only with the FZ30 and software alone?
Yes.I've used pixmaker lite to make 360 degree panos. A free version is available at http://web.singnet.com.sg/pixaround/ It's a generally goodstitcher for partial panos as well. You can make executable 360 panos. See http://www.ishots.net/craggymtpan.html Go to the bottom of the page to download the exe file. This was stitched from 13 shots with the oly c2100.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:25 AM   #14

Thank you, fmoore.
I'll be sure to get my hands on that as there's some wonderful territory to be explored in panorama.

Btw, nice pano you've got there.

Cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:22 AM   #15

Carambah! Nice shots my friend. I too L O V E that added zoom. I for one do not subscribe to the notion this is not an optical zoom. True, less of the sensor is used, but that still plays with the optical properties, and is not a real digital enhancement. (as in merely spreading the pixels) Think of it as a 3 MP camera with one h*** of a zoom. Hope to see more of your shots...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:20 PM   #16

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Carambah! Nice shots my friend. I too L O V E that added zoom. I for one do not subscribe to the notion this is not an optical zoom. True, less of the sensor is used, but that still plays with the optical properties, and is not a real digital enhancement. (as in merely spreading the pixels) Think of it as a 3 MP camera with one h*** of a zoom. Hope to see more of your shots...best regards,

KennethD

Kenneth, it is what it is. You can think of it "as a 3 MP camera with one h*** of a zoom." Nevertheless, all it does, it saves you one step in cropping the image in post processing. You get the identical results if you take an 8 MP picture at 12 x zoomand crop it down as you would using the extended zoom at a lower MP. So, I can see both viewpoints here.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:40 PM   #17

Interesting... agree that the B300/TCON-17 is great.The W08shot seems sharp all the way to the edges which I can't say about my Raynox HD66000-55.... However, that's just a 0.8x wideangle vs the 0.66 of the raynox. I'm (still) waiting for Shene's comments on image quality here http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/

So,using panorama software might be a better wideangle solution as the good links here show. Even though the dpreview 360 degree as above actually uses both the HD6600 and the panorama software... :roll:
PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:25 PM   #18

More to this: I think the 3MP is great for practical reasons. Rather than cropping afterwards, it's much easier to findthetargets, like birds, than in the 8MP mode. You'll also get a better picture for exposure setting etc.

By the way, here's a panorama built with the Arcsoft Panorama Maker that came with the FZ30. Haven't used many of these softwares before but I've found this really intuitive.
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:19 AM   #19

Excellent posting with really interesting comparisons...The thread developed nicely with lots of practical comments

And to think someone said photos shouldn't be posted on the Pano forum!

Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:47 AM   #20

rduve wrote:
Quote:
....and here is my first test shot with the FZ30. Check out the gate on the right and how soft it is. Also there seems to be a lot more barrel distortion. I am using the CRing, by the way, not a step ring.

Yes, it is soft at the edges on the FZ30 but increasing the angle to the horizon increases barrel distortion in all WA, i.e. for minimial distortion you need to shoot straight on.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote