Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1

Hi people

just thought Id say hello as I'll be frequenting this forum since my new purchase. I got the Fz5 from amazon for £234, seems ok. I ordered a 55 hama uv and a tcon17 and 1gb sd... Im ready for some serious zooming soon

Ive had a Casio P600 for over a year. I was really happy with it and it has took some great pictures, the zoom was very limiting though. I hope this new camera is as enjoyable as that one. One thing I intend to do now is get out more and use it, hopefully this is kick up ass needed

Cheers fellow panny heads!
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2

Audioedge-

Welcome to the forum. The FZ5 is a great camera but will take a lot of practice to begin to see the excellent results that others with more experiencepost. I've had mine since last November and it has been a gradual learning curve that is just now beginning to show improvements to where I feel I'm beginning to almost get the hang of it.

Take the advice of others that it will take hundreds, if not thousands, of photo attempts to begin to really understand how to use the FZ5 to obtain good photos. Post some as you progress to get insights as to how to improve on your attempts. Practice with the 'P' mode a lot and compare the automatic settings it chooses to how the photos turn out. Then branch out to using the other user settings. I've found that using the Auto Bracket in difficult lighting settings helps to cover the unknowns a little better. Using the EXIF info when reviewing the photos helps, as well, to understand how the Apeture, Shutter etc settings affect the results...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:11 PM   #3

Cheers Tele

I used A and S mostly on my P600 (with a good ole tripod) so Im hoping to stay clear of P mode... But like you said there will be many features and settings to get used to, thats the fun part though isnt it
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:02 AM   #4

That and knowing the delete button is always there if we were off by too much. That's where a 1GB card comes in handy... quick checks for obvious boo boos and plenty of room for the maybes until we can down load.

As it is, I'm now looking at a 100 GB hard drive addition to my PC's 80GB OEM drive - both to do a clean install of WIN-XP (too much down loaded garbage over the years) and because my used % of disk space is dwindling with all of the maybe photos...!

Keep in mind the TCON17's shallow threads so make sure you attach to the UV lens threads. If you anticipating doing Birds-In-Flight (BIF) with the FZ5+TCON17, look at getting a RDS setup as it is the easiest/faster way to increase finding your subject somewhere in the photo after the fact!

Post some when you're up and running!
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote