Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:00 PM   #11

I'll have to watch that movie, then. :shock:
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:08 PM   #12

these are definitely shotstaken fromdifferent distances. the girl is closer to the monument by far in the second one, the lighting on her is different, and there are differences in things in the background. for one, the lamp post visible over her shoulder on the right is behind her head in the second shot. merely changing the zoom setting or trying to use the optical effect of foreshortening wouldn't do that. the second shot wasn't taken merely by backing up and using the zoom, either... notice the different height of the orange gate above her head in the second shot... that says if anything, the photographer was probably closer in that shot than in the first one! just backing up and using the zoom would bring both the girl and the gate closer, and foreshorten the distance between them a bit, but it wouldn't change the perspective like that.

i think this is just a suggestion for composition, rather than anythingto do with any trick new feature of the camera.... to my knowledge no one yet has a lens that will "pull in" the background without affecting the subject!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:21 PM   #13

Squirl, The way the article reads it would lead you to believe that this is some new function of the FZ30 !? I agree with you that that would be quite a trick but then the article is definitly misleading. They also state you can use Tele-macro with the FZ30 and I thought that feature was only on the FZ5 !? Jim

By taking full advantage of the zoom function in tele macro shots, you can transform plain, ordinary scenery into highly expressive backgrounds. Emphasize the subject by softening the background focus. This composition makes the flowers look more attractive. A beautiful soft focus adds to the mood of the portrait.
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:33 PM   #14

it'sdefinitelywritten in a rather misleading manner. ithink a lot of this is simplytheir suggestions forusing composition and DOF to create the effect you're trying to achieve. "softening the background focus", for example, is not something you can mechanically do with the camera, other than by manipulating aperture and distance from the subject, yet the way it's written makes it sound as though you can soften the background by using some focus feature independent of your focus on the subject...
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:34 PM   #15

Here is the full read of the "new Special Functions of the FZ30"

By providing the background of a portrait with a soft focus, your portraits become truly distinctive. This effect adds to the attractiveness of your subject. The subject seems to float against the background, for a truly impressive effect. By controlling the perceived distance of the background, you can take the kind of commemorative photos you really want. Push the background into the distance to emphasize your subject. Bring the monument forward to capture it together with your
subject.
By taking full advantage of the zoom function in tele macro shots, you can transform plain, ordinary scenery into highly expressive backgrounds. Emphasize the subject by softening the background focus. This composition makes the flowers look more attractive. A beautiful soft focus adds to the mood of the portrait.
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:04 AM   #16

interesting.... the way that's written, it almost sounds like they're trying to make you think theFZ30 can do those things differently from other cameras, or even has technical features that do it for you! clever wording, but still related to technique, not technology...
Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:34 AM   #17

...I do think they used that technique on the two pics. I gotta run now, but in a few hours I'll try to explain why.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:48 AM   #18

Its curious that the photos don't reflect the concrete that the first subject is standing on in the telephoto drawing the background in. Looking at the edge of the concrete as being at a level about equal to her right armpit, the second doesn't reflectany concretein the second shot.If it was just using the telephoto lens on zoom, it would have caught the concrete in the photo...

'Artistic licenses' in marketing are a fine line that may have been crossed in this example.

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:34 AM   #19

Apart from it being a marketing site for their camera, I don't think they are trying to pretend its magic. They are just suggesting that an ultrazoom can be used for more creative things than just looking at stuff far away.

As for that concrete, that actually pavement under her feet. It only looks high up because its at wide angle. At zoom that'd easily disappear (you can only see the road there in the second picture)
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:36 PM   #20

The one thing that I find misleading in the write-up is the talk about using the zoom and macro together.Theymake it soundlike you could zoom use full zoom on something close to you, when in reality you quickly get out of focus range.

On the other hand, I've taken flowers that looked like macros when they were at least 10-20 feet away (I'm terrible about distances).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote