Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:37 PM   #1

By controlling the perceived distance of the background, you can take the kind of commemorative photos you really want. Push the background into the distance to emphasize your subject. Bring the monument forward to capture it together with your
subject.
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:39 PM   #2

To find the page go to http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/fz30/
and then click on 'New Mastering special FZ30 functions'
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:42 PM   #3

so basically the dude told the girl to stand further back? she isnt in same place in both pics there
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 2:04 PM   #4

She does appear to be further back but the way I read it you can bring the background closer while not changing the subjects position or focus and take the picture !?
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:06 PM   #5

...I guess all the photographer did was move away from the girl and use the zoom, as opposite to being close to her and using the lens in a wide angle position.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:11 PM   #6

Jose, I guess that's one way to do it!?
Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:08 PM   #7

José A. wrote:
Quote:
...I guess all the photographer did was move away from the girl and use the zoom, as opposite to being close to her and using the lens in a wide angle position.
Thats right. All you have to do, is moving back far enough and then zoom in. This brings the monument nearer to the subject, because the distance between the subject and that monument stays the same and will be shortened by that zoom too. Thats the trick. Just basic maths
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

Yes, that is also how they make this "the background gets closer" effect in movies; by pulling the camera out while zooming in.

Check "Goodfellas", close to the end, when Ray Liotta meets Robert De Niro at the coffee. Or the first "Jaws", I think is the first attack by the shark in daylight, while Brody is at the beach. Or the french film "La Haine" ("Hatred?"), at... some point of it. And there are more examples, of course, which I cannot remember now.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:34 PM   #9

Thanks for reminding me of this technique. I remember it from my reading when I had a 35mm camera, but never had a lens that was a big enough zoom to really try this out, so I never used it. Now that I have a camera with a big zoom, it'll be fun to play with it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:53 PM   #10

Jose, the one scene that I always think of when that technique is mentioned is the scene in Poltergeist towards the end when the mother is running towards the kids' bedroom and the hallway appears to be getting longer and longer.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote