Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:11 PM   #1

Just found this link to:
Matsushita Electric (Panasonic) Develops World's Smallest 2.0µm-Pixel MOS Image Sensor
http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/off...n050208-6.html

Not sure how we failed to notice this back in Feb 2005 or may be we didn't. Interesting read and I wonder if the 4/3's and any new cams will use sensors with this technology?

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:58 PM   #2

Verry interesting... Double your fun for the same size. Any idea how this would relate to noise issues? For the same size sensor to have double the pixels would seem to have much more detail to work with, as well.

I'd have to imagine this would be part of any 4/3 chip that Pany would come out with if the approach will translate to the new chip hierarchy...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:53 PM   #3

For a brief discussion see
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14914743
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:29 PM   #4

if that technology doesn't lose any image quality over current sensor technology, that will make the cost of digital cameras plummet! generally, unlike computers where chip sizes continue to shrink and get faster at the same time, digital camera chip sensors as a rule of thumb cannot be smaller (and are therefore more expensive) because of pixel size limitations. if this is a good technology, i'm very happy for what could be on the horizon; maybe dslrs in the $400-500 range? that would be awesome!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:58 PM   #5

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Just found this link to:
Matsushita Electric (Panasonic) Develops World's Smallest 2.0µm-Pixel MOS Image Sensor
http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/off...n050208-6.html

Not sure how we failed to notice this back in Feb 2005 or may be we didn't. Interesting read and I wonder if the 4/3's and any new cams will use sensors with this technology?

Cheers

Harj

I remember reading that but lost the article. Now if Panasonic will quit the MP war and concentrate on image quality without built-in noise reduction software then they will have a true winner. All you really need is 10MP.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:44 AM   #6

HarjTT, thanks for the info.
Just wondering, new model of panasonic Lumix such as LZ5 and FZ7, which capable for high ISO 1600, are they using new Image sensor :O
Haven't see any review sample yet, so far look like FZ7 is ideal camera for me
Still yet to find more about the noise
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:57 AM   #7

armadilloshield

From what I've read about the new LZ5/7 on dperview the ISO1600 is pretty similar to how Fuji used to achieve it in their older cams - basically it just produces a 2MP image. The samples posted on the lumix site show that the iq from the higher Iso's is not up to Fuji F10 ISO800/1600 standards at all. So i'm not sure whether they are using this new technology yet - the other significant thing is that these are CMOS sensors and so I'm not sure if this technology can be applied to CCD's.

Cheers

HArjTT
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:49 PM   #8

Spotted this thread on dpreview and theres a suggestion that the new Oly E330 will have a Panasonic based 4/3 CMOS sensor and if so that makes sense esp with the above announcement from the company. If its true it looks like we have interesting times ahead and I hope Pana uses the tech that its developed for the Lumix as well.

Here's the link:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16880958

There's also this to read -apparently the new sensor is called LiveMOS and its a 7.5MP sensor and possibly a dual OVF/EVF not sure how that woudl work.

Cheers

HarjTT
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:46 PM   #9

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Spotted this thread on dpreview and theres a suggestion that the new Oly E330 will have a Panasonic based 4/3 CMOS sensor and if so that makes sense esp with the above announcement from the company. If its true it looks like we have interesting times ahead and I hope Pana uses the tech that its developed for the Lumix as well.

Here's the link:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16880958

There's also this to read -apparently the new sensor is called LiveMOS and its a 7.5MP sensor and possibly a dual OVF/EVF not sure how that woudl work.

Cheers

HarjTT
Wow, new revolution in digital camera
I think I should wait few more month before I purchase any new Camera :-)
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote