Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1

The Daisy Electronic Point Sight #7809 comes with a standard 3/8" dovetail mount. The brackets for that dovetail mount can be removed and reversed so the dovetails point in. In that position, the head of a flathead #12 machine screw (3/4" long here) can be inserted and secured by tightening the reversed dovetail brackets with the two screws on the side as seen below. The rds can then be attached rather easily to whatever using the protruding machine screw and a nut. Below I've used a plastic flash mount rail that came with a phoenix slave flash. Works fine. No slippage due to the rubber matting on the rail. There is room enough for two machine screws so you could attach it even more securely using two 1/4" holes and a 3rd hole for the tripod screw. I may move the sight forward (and perhaps out from the camera) a little so it doesn't interfere with sighting through the evf shouldone choose to not use the rds for some other shot. Also,awing nut rather than a hex nut will allow for turning the sight sideways on the tripod rail formore compactstorage.Another benefit of this mount design is the ease of horizontal sight adjustment. Rather than using the horizontal adjustment screw (which is not easily accessed anyway), the sight itself, or actually the tripod connection, can be moved slightly to accomplish that.

FZ5 w/ Ricoh TC200M 1.5 tele and Daisy #7809red dot sight

[align=left]

RDS-BIF

[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:10 PM   #2

Fred-

Curious about your 1.5 tele - how does it compare to the TCON17 for BIF other than its smaller multiple. Any greater, discernable sharpness or softness compared to the 17 that you know of?
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3

Dave - I haven't done alot of BIF shooting with either the tc200m or the tcon17. That's the reason I got the rds. I've only had the opportunity to try the ricohwith the rds but in other circumstances I generally preferit due to its smaller size vs the tcon17. It really is a heck of a tele lens and I recommend it highly. I think the color rendering is a little better. My tests have shown the tcon17 to becloser to1.6x than 1.7xat about 250ft. The tc200m is right at it's listed 1.5x at that distance, so there isn't a whole lot of difference. The ricoh has 52mm threads so will require a 55-52mm step down ring with the fz5. I modified my fz5 adapterto accept 52mm threads. That's the adapter you see in the above photos. The ricoh tc200m has been out of production since 1989 but shows up on ebay once in a while for around $40, which is a steal.
For some comparisons with different teles and the fz5 see http://www.artmags.com/fz5/teles/
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote