Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:49 PM   #1

I read a lot of things the riddle is this. I want a wide angleconverter not too expensive that will fit the adaptor that the panasonic haw without sand down or any of this thing because i am unbelievably clumsy!!!!!Furthermorei would ;like this converter to be uveliable in ebay if possible because there is no way i can find it where i Live!!!!(crete-greece!!!!)Thanx in advance
tera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2

tera2-

Can't really help narrow down the WA lens for you. I'll leave that to other. As to the issue of the adapter threads, its a very simple process with sand paper on a flat hard cover book.

When looking at WA lens, see if you can confirm how many threads the lens offers. Without sanding the stock adapter, the WA lens will need at least 3-4+ lines of threads to be useful without sanding.

Alternatively, you could use a UV(O) 55-mm filter to attach to the adapter - this will give you deeper metal threads to attach most any 55-mm WA lens sufficiently
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:27 PM   #3

Quote:
...becauseI am unbelievably clumsy!!!!!
I just sanded my FZ5 adaptor, in preparation for my TCON-17 (which I am patiently waiting for...). The process was successful. I'd like to add my suggestions to the pool of experience found within this forum.

I used an 8.5x11 sheet of 150 grit sandpaper, laid flat on a sturdy table. I then gently rubbed the FZ5 adaptor in a circular motion.A total of90 seconds of gentle scrubbingwill remove the 1mm plastic rim. I made sure toROTATE THE ADAPTOR in my hand every few seconds, to avoid an uneven sanding job.

Once I'd sanded down to thebeginning of the thread, I then switched to a smooth 600 grit sandpaper for polishing. I applied the 600 grit by hand (not on a table top) and it helped to restore the black color to the rim.

I doubt anyone will ever notice it's been modified by me, and that's important because I will likely sell and upgrade in a couple of years. Or, I may wind up returning the camera to Panasonic, should it ever fail.

Ken

Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:50 PM   #4

The sanding down is made for better aplying the lens right?So even if i buy a 55mm(wcon 07)coverter yoy insist on sanding down right? Another problem is the damn prices in greece i amtrying to find the wcon at areasonable price (round 120 $ ) and i can not!!!If a buy some cheap onew i found lets say OPTEKA the result will be a mess?Thanx anyway the site is REALLY helpful!!!
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:17 AM   #5

tera2, ibought mine via ebay from jinfinance in shanghai for US$105 plus us$24 xpress shipping to luxembourg. it took 10 days to get delivered. i am very pleased with it, but beware, that wcon-07 is HUGE, on my fz20 it is already more than impressive, i wonder how it will be on an fz5... moreover, you can forget to use the built-in flash, it will even cast a shadow with an external metz mounted on the hot shoe.
Attached Images

Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:45 AM   #6

You can get spare lens adapters from panny for less than £5, so a modded one is not a problem.

Regarding a WA - I got a Raynox 720 - cheap, but works pretty well - I also used a step ring 55-52mm - don't remember having to sand the adapter: with the step ring in place, you get good grip anyway.

The 720 is now replaced by the dcr730, but should do much the same.

Only issue is barrel distortion, though a quick photoshop will cure that

As to Cretian availability :?:?:?
fatheralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:46 AM   #7

SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH XENAR 0.7X Wide-Angle Lens, 55 mmthats what i ordered finally hopefully it will work thanx for the help sespeciaaly mr fmmoore

Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:18 AM   #8

Please let us know how it works as many have expressed an interest in that lens but there has been little feedback on it.

I am sure it will work but I would like to see how well.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:36 AM   #9

Tera - Good to hear you made the purchase and looking forward to seeing some shots.

Gene - Keep in mindthat Tera will be using the Schneider with the FZ5. We have seen some samplesof that combo at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23and they look great. As far as I know, no one has posted shots of the FZ30 with the Schneider .7x.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:25 AM   #10

Thanks for pointing me there again Fred

I did not see the Interior shots before and that outdoor shot is difficult to tell much as the trees seem distorted before the WA.

Is that a FZ5 thing or are the trees really like that?

genece is offline   Reply With Quote