Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:39 PM   #1

Heres a pic of my FZ5 with a Tcon 17 attached. I bought a Hoya 55mm filter (happened to be a skylight) for £3 on ebay, smashed the glass out and now use the filter to connect the Tcon. Not had the weather to go out shooting yet, but am looking forward to it!

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2

Looks good. I'm awaiting shipment of my TCON-17 for attachment to my FZ5 also. I've done the sanding and will use a 55mm UV filter improve the connection.

So it looks like you decided to forego the "hacksaw" method? How deep do the Hoya threads go? Does the TCON fit snug into the filter? I'm thinking I might not actually smash the glass out of the filter, but instead see how it fits with the filter as-is. I'll post my progress.

Ken
Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:03 PM   #3

I didnt sand anything at all as when Id put in the filter and tightened it, it seemed solid. If I had been able to get a cheap UV filter Id have left the glass in.

So the Hoya fits tight onto the adapter, and the TCon fits tight onto the Hoya...
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:07 PM   #4

Just be sureto keep a hand on the TCON17 and adapter where they connect when you're using it. I was using my TCON17 on my FZ1 using the same method and if I hadn't had my hand on the TCON17 it would have hit the floor. The threads are really shallow.
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 4:35 PM   #5

I found that my FZ5 adapter, before sanding, only allowed about 1/2 - 3/4 of turns with the TCON17. After sanding and attaching a Hoya UV(O) filter, the TCON17 now goes about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns - real snug. I have noticed, though, that the Hoya filter can get pretty tight after mounting/dismounting the TCON17 a few times - had to use a pair of channel locks to loosen the Hoya a few times...

I don't feel that the TCON17 is going to fall off when its attached to the Hoya. Then, too, I usually have my RDS coupler adapter mounted and it offers more protection to the TCON17 lens body possibly flexing and coming loose. Good advice to be careful at any rate.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:30 PM   #6

I just found yourthread regarding this.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...oupler+adapter

Ken

Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:29 AM   #7

Ken Rogers wrote:
Quote:
I just found yourthread regarding this.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...oupler+adapter
Ken
Ken-

Thus far, I've been happy with the results of my approach. Others have some good alternatives, as well. The PVC coupler took some time for sanding the taper which, it turns out, the TCON17 body is ideal for matching the adapter's taper. The only drawback is if one wants to remove or add a filter to the adapter; the coupler has to be removed.

One thing that is for sure, the RDS significantly improves one's ability to track moving targets with ease. My success rate, thus far, is greater than 95% to have the moving subject within the frame. Now I just have to work on getting the images in sharper focus.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:38 PM   #8

I know this is kinda off topic for the thread, but Im hoping someone picks it up as I dont wanna start a new thread, but...

Can anyone recommend a case for the Fz5 with the tcon17 attached... Id like to be able to pocket it without re-assembling it everytime.

Cheers

Old Jan 22, 2006, 4:26 PM   #9

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a case for the Fz5 with the tcon17 attached
Medium sized fannypack.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:28 AM   #10

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a case for the Fz5 with the tcon17 attached... Id like to be able to pocket it without re-assembling it everytime.
Audioedge-

I've found the LowePro 140 AW is ideal. See posting near bottomwith photo of FZ5 & TCON17 in case...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=rezo

It fits very snug w/the TCON17 attached or you can use the two dividers and carry the camera along with a lot of other items as detailed in the following photo..

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...er/collage.jpg