Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:21 PM   #1

Hi,
First let me apologize about my English level, it's not my language.

1. When and why do the histogram become yellow?

2. When i changed to macro mode and opened the flash, i pushed the button halfway to get focus and then the flash sign became red, why?

3. How do i do prefocus? when i change the focus trigger to "focus" and then i focus the camera with this botton, the shutter botton becaome useless! no matter how hard i push it, the camera wouldnt take the picture!

4. If i change the focus mode to "nine areas", will the camera focus on any of the areas or only on one of them?

5. Do you have some advices for picturing a party? (big room, strong florocent lamps)
should i use the flash all the time? i went there and saw that i can get 1/15-1/25 without the flash (and without the noisy iso400), will it be enough?

6. When i use "motion image" the sound is very low (unless the source is very close to the camera), anything i can do?

Thanks!

best regards,
Tom.

Tom Merilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:42 PM   #2

Tom Merilin wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
First let me apologize about my English level, it's not my language.

1. When and why do the histogram become yellow?
Quote:
It is telling you part of the photo is either over or underexposed
Quote:

2. When i changed to macro mode and opened the flash, i pushed the button halfway to get focus and then the flash sign became red, why?
Quote:
The manual says it does that when you prefocus with the flash activated, I do not understand that explanation but thats what it says
Quote:

3. How do i do prefocus? when i change the focus trigger to "focus" and then i focus the camera with this botton, the shutter botton becaome useless! no matter how hard i push it, the camera wouldnt take the picture!
Quote:
I do not have a clue
Quote:

4. If i change the focus mode to "nine areas", will the camera focus on any of the areas or only on one of them?
Quote:
The camera will pick what it fosues on it may be1 area or 5 areas, the ones that turn green will be the ones with something in them in focus
Quote:

5. Do you have some advices for picturing a party? (big room, strong florocent lamps)
should i use the flash all the time? i went there and saw that i can get 1/15-1/25 without the flash (and without the noisy iso400), will it be enough?
Quote:
I do not think 1/25second is enough shutterspeed with out the flash...people will need to be still.
Quote:

6. When i use "motion image" the sound is very low (unless the source is very close to the camera), anything i can do?

Thanks!

best regards,
Tom.

You do not have your thumb on the holes ,do you?

Really I do not think it picks up sound real well.

When is it that it does not seem loud...on your computer?

I think that is a wave sound and maybe that needs turned up in sound properties.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:47 PM   #3

A couple more answers that may help

2) It seems that the flash sign turns red in most modes if the flash is going to fire. Even with the flash "up", if you are focused on a bright object, in auto mode it will not fire, and the flash sign does not turn red.

3) I haven't had a problem with this. Using the focus button allows the shutter to fire just fine

4) If you change to 9 area focus, when you depress the shutter 1/2 way you will see one or more green squares appear. They tell you where the camera is focusing. Play with this, it's fun and surprising sometimes to see where the camera thinks the focal point should be.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:17 PM   #4

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
A couple more answers that may help

3) I haven't had a problem with this. Using the focus button allows the shutter to fire just fine
U focus the camera with the "focus" butoon, and while the button is pressed u can take pictures with the shutter button?
If i cant that means that i have some problem with the camera? should i take it to the store?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:59 PM   #5

Maybe you must release the "focus" button and then take the shot. The idea of this button is to avoid focusing each time when you take a picture and when the subject is at the same distance.
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:37 PM   #6

When you set up the menu to use the focus button, then all you need to do is push the focus button once and the camera will remain focused on that distance until you either shut the camera off or push the button again to focus at a different distance.

Once it is focused you do not continue to press it.

This is helpful if you will be taking a number of pictures of an object that will remain at the same distance from you. For instance, say you are at a concert and you want to take numerous pictures of the drummer....focal distance stays relatively the same, and you get faster shutter speed because you are pre-focused.

Now you change your mind, or Mick Jagger moves way across the stage, you can pick a new focal point, push the focus button again, now you are focused there.

Personally, I never use it, because if I change focal points it takes too long compared to the 1/2 press method...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:39 PM   #7

Thanks for all.