Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:51 AM   #11

same sensor, with more MP? i wonder how the noise is...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:15 AM   #12

I'm curious about the new "high sensitivity mode" myself. I read a review online on one of the new LZ models, which have this mode too. I can't remember where I read it or if it was even reputable, but the reviewer basically said the high sensitivity mode was a gimmick to allow certain shots, but the results were awful, extremely noisy or over processed with too much loss of detail. If it's as good as Fuji's latest attempts at high iso, I'd say it would be a welcome new feature for the Lumix line of cameras.
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:23 AM   #13

atkins400 wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious about the new "high sensitivity mode" myself.
See discussion of this at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16562471
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:28 AM   #14

In follow up to my own comment, I found the review of the LZ5 I read.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ns-Review-.htm

The only mention of high sensitivity mode is on the "Modes" page, and reads, "High Sensitivity boosts ISO to 800 or 1600, with a huge image quality hit."

We'll see in due time I suppose.
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:15 PM   #15

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
The bundled hood adapter accepts 52mm add-ons. Is this the same bungled hood adapter design as with the fz3/4/5? What is this optional lens adapter (DMW-LA2) "required" for 55mm add-ons. 52mm add-ons don't need it. Must be nothing more than a 52-55mm step up ring.

All in all, Pany has followed suit nicely, IMO. Nothing earth shattering or particularly upgrade-demanding to the fz5 but, for those who waited, it seems the wait was worth while. They acknowledged the need for higher iso (though at less resolution to get it as with recently announced lz3/5). Lets see how it does. The EZ feature will be fun to play with. Manual focus and exposure are nice. Larger lcd is nice. I think Panasonic should be commended for keeping the small size with some nice added features. Let's see how the photos look.

I don't like the placement of the ev over the lcd inviting nose-grease issues. But, who nose? ;-)
Fred,

I'm just taking a guess here but it looked to me in the images that the new adapter will screw into the camera body, unlike the FZ3,4,5 that have the bayonet mount. That could be really good news for getting a high quality replacement from the likes of Yoshida or others. Also if I remember correctly none of the other single digit FZ cameras were advertised as have the ability to use aconversion lens, this one seems to be targeting that. This could all end up being very good if these observations are true. We will see.

-Brett

P.S. Just looked at the manual. Seems like the supplied lens hood adapter would give you 52mm threads and the optional conversion lens adapter will give you 55mm threads. Both attach to the camera the same way, seems to be threaded into the body.
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:41 PM   #16

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I kind of still like the look of the FZ5. I think they shoudl have up'd the EVF to 235
instead of keeping it to 114k, and that made me wonder if they improved the resolution of the LCD to 235k , esp as its now 2.5"?
No, they didn't. It is still at 114k. (http://www.golem.de/0601/42872.html - German)
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:52 PM   #17

Brett - Re adapter, yes the fz7 looks much more 3rd party friendly. Actually, the supplied 52mm adapter should work pretty well for lighter converters.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:08 PM   #18

Do you think that they will add a remote shutter release?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:37 PM   #19

shutterbuggy wrote:
Quote:
*cough* I mean
the Sharp 10-MP-CCD.
That looks mighty interesting. I'm just wondering where will that heart find a body. It's pretty hard to think of a manufacturer that would take this on.
It might be that only manufacturers that don't have prosumer models would attempt such a thing and I'm thinking of Pentax or maybe Nikon. But that's only a wild guess.
Still, it would be a shame for that sensor to go to waste. It might just work and if the noise level is fairly low, I wouldn't mind seing it on the FZ40.
I guess time will tell...
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:28 PM   #20

I also think they should have named it the Fz6
And If I could get decent money for my FZ5, i'd sell it on ebay as soon as the "7" was available just to get manual focus.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote