Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:39 PM   #1

I am now looking to get some (non)essential extras for my Pana fz30.┬* I understand the sunpak 383 is a useful gun.┬* what would an alternative be that has a slave function, or would a slave shoe be a good way to go?Next question is concerning macro lenses, wideangle, and tcons.┬* there is a lot of talk about the various types, nikon, olympus etc, and i am looking on ebay.┬* a 55mm thread is not easy to find, is it better to go larger or smaller thread and get adapter rings?┬* 52mm and 58mm lenses seem fairly common, would i be compromising image quality to go for either of these?thanksnicco
Nicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:46 PM   #2

I am also drawing up a list of (non)essential extras. From reading around this forum and others I have pretty much decided on the following;

Olympus TCON17 teleconverter

Nikon 4T close up lens with a 55mm to 52mm step down ring

Sunpak 383 flash

I plan to start buying these over the next few weeks so can't recommend them yet, but it seems many other FZ30 users recommend the above. Anyone disagree?

matt_xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 3:08 PM   #3

The Tcon 17 is a good teleconverter for the FZ30

For a wide angle lens it is not a good Idea to use steprings as that will almost certainly cause vignetting.

But it makes very little difference if you step up or down a bit for macro lenses.

I use a 4T and there is no vignetting.

This appears to be a decent slave flash as are a couple metz flashes.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 3:14 PM   #4

thanx guys,┬* ┬*┬* ┬*i too have decided to go (if poss) for the 383 and the tcon 17.┬*┬*i will have to look for a 55mm wide converter, but that is a bit lower on my list.┬* interesting to know that steps are bad for the wide but not too crucial for the macro┬* ┬* ┬*thanx again┬* ┬* ┬*nicco┬* ┬*(how do you insert paragraphs?)
Nicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:55 PM   #5

i see your post quite a bit. i am thing of getting a fz30, whats holding me back is is how fast it can take a pic and how many it can take in 1 second. so far all the digital cameras i have take 2 seconds or long to to caputure that golden moment. thats why i am still a 35 mm film guy.

i've read reviews on the fz30 and iam not to crazy about the burst mode. i want a true 35 mmm type of shooting. like aim press the button and pic is taken. minimum of 2 shots per second non burst , ie aim press shoot. not have to wait foreever for it to focus andfire can it do it or should i opt for the canon 350

Thanks, Ed
magsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:34 PM   #6

One more idea for a relatively inexpensiveadd-on - one of my favourite purchases has been a neoprene camera strap(bought on Ebay)sooooo comfy compared to the one the camera comes with (although the FZ30 strap seems to be an improvement on the one that came with the FZ20). I would never be without one now. Cheers
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:25 AM   #7

FYI, I used an Olympus Wc-08 wide angle with 62mm threads with a 55-62 step up on my FZ30 with NO vignetting seen. Also, there was a 55mm UV filter on to boot.

Go below to see:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Note the second photo in the thread :idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:34 AM   #8

If you are using manual focus and a fast card you can shoot as fast as you can press...raise...and press again. I am not sure that is 2 frames per second but its quick.

In auto focus it takes a little longer but not 2 seconds between shots.

magsigns wrote:
Quote:
i see your post quite a bit. i am thing of getting a fz30, whats holding me back is is how fast it can take a pic and how many it can take in 1 second. so far all the digital cameras i have take 2 seconds or long to to caputure that golden moment. thats why i am still a 35 mm film guy.

i've read reviews on the fz30 and iam not to crazy about the burst mode. i want a true 35 mmm type of shooting. like aim press the button and pic is taken. minimum of 2 shots per second non burst , ie aim press shoot. not have to wait foreever for it to focus andfire can it do it or should i opt for the canon 350

Thanks, Ed
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:39 AM   #9

Suze,

I am interested in the strap you mentioned.

Can you furnish a link in this thread on ebay or perhaps Froogle?

Or perhaps in a PM to me?

digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:04 PM   #10

I also use a step ring from 52 to 55 for my DCR-5000 raynox 0.5 wide angle lens, and while there is a very small amount of vignetting, that probably has as much to do with it being 0.5X as it does with the step ring. a 0.66 lens probably wouldn't show any vignetting. my two cents for what its worth, i like the barrel distortion of the slightly wider angle, and the amount of a room it can capture is amazing. And yes, a neoprene strap is indispensable! i lucked out and found an opened (most don't have a package anyways!) Nishika (i think) 20$ strap at ritz camera on clearance for $2.22, what a steal! sometimes it pays to shop your local stores even when you think ebay has everyone beat.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote