Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:33 PM   #21

Wow! I shota couple of pictures at 1/100 shutter speed, raw format, ISO200 (very cloudy day), scene with lots of detail (figured that would be pretty typical real-world conditions). It took right at 3 seconds from the time I pushed the shutter the rest of the way down until the blinking icon went out (maybe a hair less, but not a full second less). My measurement included shutter time (couldn't figure out how to not to include that).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:00 PM   #22

I have (had) both a Sandisk 1GB standard card and an ATP 1GB 60x card and the FZ30...

I just finished some write-time tests in a very well lit indoor room. All tests were in full auto mode, 8MP, with fresh batteries. All times are averages of at least 10 tries, even though the camera was 100% consistent. Test consisted of an in camera format, cleanup function, then a continuous burst @ Fine quality JPEG until the card was full (my finger hurts), then in RAW mode, with and with out Auto focus. The numbers speak for themselves:

1GB Sandisk (shitdisk)
Format: 2 sec
Clean up: 3min 15sec

JPEG (fine) - Infinite burst mode
Frames available: 250
Full @: 352 frames
Time to fill: 7min 5sec
FPS slowed @: after 10 frames or about 5 sec
RAW
AF mode: 5sec
MF mode: 4.5sec

1GB ATP 60x
Format: 1sec
Clean up: 2sec
JPEG (fine) - Infinite burst mode
Frames available: 252
Full @: 352 frames
Time to fill: 3min 15sec
FPS slowed @: 1min 30 through test
RAW
AF mode: 3sec
MF mode: 2.5sec

Okay... I'm too lazy to figure out the fps from this data, but as you can see a faster card is just that...

This ATP card is worth every penny, especially when the ATP card is cheaper than a standard Sandisk card, and many times stronger... this thing is a tank!! Water proof, i've tried it! Break proof, i've tried to bend it in half, it just won't break!!! (i tried the sandisk card and it snapped in half... whoops! good thing it was given to me... tee hee, piece of crap anyhow, you can make holes in it with your fingernails for petes sake!!!!)

If you don't believe my data and my humble opinion, then check this out:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/r.../ATP_SD_1.html

If yer too lazy to read it, here's the conclusion:

The performance of the ATP SD cards is extremely impressive! My Sandisk Ultra II CF cardis supposed to be rated for the same 60X speed, however both the synthetic & real word tests showed the Ultra II to be only about half the performance of the ATP cards. Both the 1GB & 2GB ATP SD cards performed with near-identical benchmark results, showing the consistency in the product line. The regular Lexar SD card just didn't stand a chance, especially when it came to write performance (which to me is the most critical).

Enjoy!
Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:02 PM   #23

Thank you...all! I just finished (5 minutes ago) testing my plain jane sandisk 1 gig sd card in my FZ 30. Results just in: raw, from shutter trip to reset was 6 seconds. Tiff from shutter trip to reset was slower at 7 plus seconds. That does it. I'm off to buy a faster card. Much obliged for the help, as the O N L Y really accurate way to get the real data (from my experience) is to actually shoot and time with a stop watch. And having the fastest available performance from your camera really makes a difference in a lot of situations. Thanks again...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:32 PM   #24

Yeah the tests were fun and informative!

Except for the finger cramp and breaking of my crappy SD card...

nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:30 PM   #25
Super Moderator

i picked up the kingston ultimate 2gb card.. 22mb/sec write speed.. i tested it against a standard card in my Lx-1 and i can write a raw in about 1.25 -1.5 seconds.. as opposed to ~5 secs with a standard card.. definately worth the money for me..

i would expect similar performance from the fz-30
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:02 AM   #26

anybody have some test results for a-data 2gb 150x?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:24 AM   #27

Thanks to all who responded to my original question!

I will be buying a Sandisk Ultra 3 tomorrow. Hope it speeds-up right-time and also download time to my PC.

And if anyone's ever down at Bells Beach in Australia, here is a great place to stay.

www.bellscottages.com.au

Thanks again

BELLS
Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:38 PM   #28

Does anyone know if the SanDisk Extreme III card would be faster in the FZ30 than any of the cards mentioned in this thread?
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:12 AM   #29
Super Moderator

it will not be any faster than any other 133 or 150x card..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote