Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:53 PM   #1

Does anyone use a Sandisk Ula III card and how does it work? Or is there another card I should use?

Also had a Raynox DCR 2020 on my FZ20 for a week and took it back. Quality and sharpness of photos, even using tripod was terrible!! Have since updated to the amazing FZ-30.

Thanks for your help

Bells
Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2

I've been using the Sandisk Ultra II and it seems to work quite well. I haven't compared it to any other cards, so don't know how it compares with other ones.\

Edited to add: I'm using the 1 GB card because I prefer to shoot raw files, and they take up lots of memory.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:33 PM   #3

i have a Sandisk Ultra II card for my FZ20, and there's no difference in function or reliability between it and the Kingmax Platinums i have... except the Kingmax cards cost half what the Sandisk does...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:27 AM   #4

PQI 1GB x133 - works fine in JPEG mode but in TIFF i have some problems.
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:11 AM   #5

The actual read/write speed of the fz camera family is not as high as one might think. I have a cheap no-name 1GB high-speed card (I believe everything faster than 33x is called high-speed) that works just as well with the camera and my card-reader as the supplied Panasonic SD-card. I once used a Sandisk Ultra II that I borrowed from a friend and again I couldn't make out any difference. The Sandisk surprisingly did not work at all with my card-reader though.
Problems with compatibility are very hard to predict. I think, there is no use to buy an expensive card for performance reasons. What I would strongly recommend is to buy somewhere, where you can return the product if it doesn't work properly.
Ivan
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:52 AM   #6

Hi, I use Fuju 256 (2 year old), maybe 4-6Mb/s, I don't have any problems with movies (best quality), Rawand Tiff is working (I'm not using it so frequently), and I can take about 40 jpg picutres in good quality (8mpix). I will change for Kingstone 1Gb, but not yet. So... :roll:

kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:34 AM   #7

A-Data 2GB 150X SD. works great and can hold up to 25 mins. of VGA @ 30fps.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:40 AM   #8

While some of this is correct the FZ20 , FZ5 can not use anymore than 32X or so...But if you can see no difference in speed between the 16 or 32 mb card that came with the camera and a high speed card, none of your cards are working as well as they should.

Perhaps an in camera format may speed them up.

As to the original question ,with the FZ30 a card at least 66X can help the camera... and not all cards work up to what is advertised...I have a Panasonic 133X card that is not quite as fast as a few other cards I have.

And while I never felt the Raynox 2020 pro was a great lens it is not as bad as you describe.

Ivan Karamasov wrote:
Quote:
The actual read/write speed of the fz camera family is not as high as one might think. I have a cheap no-name 1GB high-speed card (I believe everything faster than 33x is called high-speed) that works just as well with the camera and my card-reader as the supplied Panasonic SD-card. I once used a Sandisk Ultra II that I borrowed from a friend and again I couldn't make out any difference. The Sandisk surprisingly did not work at all with my card-reader though.
Problems with compatibility are very hard to predict. I think, there is no use to buy an expensive card for performance reasons. What I would strongly recommend is to buy somewhere, where you can return the product if it doesn't work properly.
Ivan
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:30 AM   #9

i believe the FZ10/15/20 write at somewhere around 5MB/sec, and the FZ30 at about 7. a "standard" speed card has read/write rates of maybe 2MB/sec, while a 60x card is ~ 9MB/sec. that being said, the only place you'll notice the difference in ANY of these cameras is in shooting burst or continuous modes. the high speed cards will allow you to shoot without the camera stopping every 4 or 5 frames to clear the buffer. if you shoot only stills, and aren't concerned about being able to shoot multiple frames without interruption, then a standard speed card will work just fine.

the only other difference will be that your downloads will be faster with the high-speed cards. if you use a card reader and are not worried about faster downloads, etc., from the card, then by all means use the "standard" speed cards.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:33 AM   #10

This is good news to me, since I am in the market for an FZ30 (will be purchasing soon). I currently have 2 Lexar 512s and 1 Sandisk 256, all standard. I have already ordered a Ridata 2G 66x card though, to be my main one. I figure I won't really be using the others that much with a 2G card unless I go nuts and start shooting everything in RAW format.

Once I get the camera, I will be posting some pics online. I figured it was time to move up to a real digital camera
polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote