Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:12 AM   #1

I am thrilled whenever I manage one of these shots! I have no illusions of granduer, I know there are zillions of better shots of this type...but every now and then...I get what I call a keeper (like this one) and I just H A V E to post it. It's a real blast, this hobby. :lol:No end in sight to the fun trying to emulate all the cool shots I come across here. O N E of these days by sheer luck I just might succeed...heh heh...best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:21 AM   #2

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
O N E of these days by sheer luck I just might succeed
This is a nice capture but it could be much better if it werebetter focused. Youmight increase your chances of success using a red dot sight. A cheap plastic daisy bb gun sight (Daisy Electronic Point Sight ~ $10) works fine on a camera since there is no recoil to contend with. If this was cropped, the resolution was decreased and that didn't help. Consider getting a teleconverter. If you were using a tcon and cropping this may have been too far off for an rds to help. In which case, it does come down to sheer luck.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:13 AM   #3

And it is a bit overexposed. I mostly use an exposure compensation of -2/3 EV to avoid that. If the picture gets to dark then, you can correct that via gamma correction.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:56 PM   #4

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
O N E of these days by sheer luck I just might succeed
This is a nice capture but it could be much better if it werebetter focused. Youmight increase your chances of success using a red dot sight. A cheap plastic daisy bb gun sight (Daisy Electronic Point Sight ~ $10) works fine on a camera since there is no recoil to contend with. If this was cropped, the resolution was decreased and that didn't help. Consider getting a teleconverter. If you were using a tcon and cropping this may have been too far off for an rds to help. In which case, it does come down to sheer luck.

Fred...I also posted this in critiques (and wildlife I think). I did use the 1.7 Panny tele and cropped a wee bit on the left to balance but not much. I take credit for screwing up the exposure. I worked it a little (too much) in my software. BUT having said that, after reading all the suggestions/comments, I believe a sight is the answer, as well as a faster shutter speed. Hard to keep them in the frame when the evf goes blank, and this was the second in a burst series. So, I really did get lucky. Love trying these shots and can't wait to come home with a decent one to post. Thanks for the comments. (Hope to be able tp post my new and improved version S O O N !)

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:14 PM   #5

Ken, I think you did a good job considering how difficult it is to capture them in flight ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:59 PM   #6

Nice capture, Ken. Even the more so if you did so without a RDS attached! It's hard to say whether your panning and/or settings contributed to the slight OOF/Motion blur but nice job none-the-less!

I'm working on a separate folder by dates to hopefully detail my personal improvements for BIF photos with time. For motion shots, a RDS offers a significant improvement in having someting in the frame. If/once you go that route, practicing at a local model plane field will give you a lot of needed experience in tracking with an RDS - they keep coming back! Then, in the BIF hunt, you'll have a lot of the needed steps filed in memory from practice.

Keep'em coming!

Note- After posting and looking again at your photo, it appears as though the DOF was more on the closer duck. Check the DOF Calculator Bob Malborn posted and plug your numbers in to see what the DOF was for your Mallard-in-flight shot. It'd be interesting to see just how deep/shallow the focus range was for the photo.

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:11 PM   #7

Quote:
I take credit for screwing up the exposure. I worked it a little (too much) in my software.
This is a difficult shot under the best of circumstances. The focus and exposure are strongly influenced by the water. The camera is struggling to figure out what thehell to do. Therds is a great idea and it's fun. Looking forward to seeing more of your DIF (ducks in flight). This really is an exciting shot!
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:46 PM   #8

I love the colors and softness, look at their faces! The blobs of light and shadow bring out looks and mimics on their faces.
pixelstuff is offline   Reply With Quote