Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:16 AM   #1

Just practising with my newly returned FZ30. Loved the colours on this caterpillar. All criticism welcomed, esp is it a bit soft? Poor focus? Should I saturate more?
Attached Images

Intensecure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:18 AM   #2

And a dragonfly at full tele.
Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:26 AM   #3

nice shots. I think the caterpillar is a touch out of focus, it looks like the camera has focused on the leaf. Were you using spot focusing? If not, that should help (as long as the 'spot' was aimed at the caterpillar).
matt_xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:30 AM   #4

These are pretty motives. Yes, the images are not perfectly sharp, but they are nice nonetheless. It seems as if light-conditions (especially in #1) were not that easy. Under such circumstances it could have helped to take much more pictures and to try different settings from different positions. If you get one shot that you really like out of five that way, you still can consider yourself lucky.
Regarding saturation I'd say, decide for yourself alone. There is no "right" amount of saturation IMO.

Ivan
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:54 PM   #5

I do agree that the caterpiller's focus is a bit soft (off?). Ivan is right that there is no right answer for the saturation question, though my opinion is that the saturation is very nice just as it is. Just my opinion but if the focus were a bit better you wouldn't be thinking about the saturation.

I tried to get more "oomf" or something, from some of my photos by adding saturation when I was shooting raw, but it didn't help (usually there was something else wrong with the photos anyway). I've now been leavingit alone and have been happier. The big thing is whether you like the photo or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I tried very hard to get the caterpillar in complete focus, took quite a few shots etc, but only ended up with a crisply sharp leaf! I'll have to try a few more techniques with focusing, I guess.
Thanks again.
Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:17 PM   #7

Intensecure, I think the focus looks pretty good on both shots! The caterpillar at the lower part of the picture is a little soft but the rest of the body is sharp, look at the little hairs! And I thought the saturation looked good. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:53 AM   #8

Thanks Jim, appreciated.