Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:13 PM   #1

First news on the DSLR - its offical that Pana will release one at PMA 2006

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7....html?tag=blog

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:55 PM   #2

all well and good, but frankly, i'm more interested in seeing what they plan to do with the Lumix series... if and when i do elect to purchase a DSLR, at this point, it will probably be a Canon 10D, which from what i've read is still the 'gold standard' for image quality, even though it's only 6.3MP...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:43 PM   #3

Squirl

I want to see what the system will look like, evf, leica lenses etc and how they compare with the other SLR's out there. Will they bring anything revolutionary to the table or will it just be your standard SLR. Personally I'm like yourself as I want to see if they introduce an LC1 replacement/R1 competitor - a nice fast lens paired to a 4/3CCD.

Cheers

Harj
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:36 AM   #4

I agree with Squirl about a possible dSLR to buy.

BesidesI hope that the Pana-lympus SLR won't push the presentation of the FZ40 furtherfar at the end of this year. (New FZ have generally appeared around or in the Summer months)
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:15 PM   #5

Hi Narmer

From all of the leaks and rumours on the new Oly E330 - it looks as if it will have a 4/3 CMOS based sensor from Panasonic and combines an optical viewfinder+EVF and Live preview and if thats the case may be even a video mode! Now if thats the case we will see something pretty similar from Pana's DSLR - hopefully with "Leica" lenses and IS in the cam.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:21 AM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Narmer

From all of the leaks and rumours on the new Oly E330 - it looks as if it will have a 4/3 CMOS based sensor from Panasonic and combines an optical viewfinder+EVF and Live preview and if thats the case may be even a video mode! Now if thats the case we will see something pretty similar from Pana's DSLR - hopefully with "Leica" lenses and IS in the cam.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

I just bought the FZ30, so I am not in the market now. But if I were to purchase a DSLR it would probably be the Minolta Maxxum 5D with its CCD based IS. Their price has tumbled to about $600 inlcuding the 18-70mm lens. My friend just got one, and I'll do a shoot out with him, comparing it to my FZ30. Does anyone know if Panasonic has anything in development regarding in-camera vs. inside-the-lens IS? That would be a must for me before I make the move to DSLR.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:13 AM   #7

Quote:
The Minolta Maxxum 5D with its CCD based IS. Their price has tumbled to about $600 inlcuding the 18-70mm lens.
There's a reason for the price drop, of course.

Konica-Minolta are pulling out of the camera business, so another well-respected name is abouit to vanish.

Some of their technology (unspecified) is to be taken over by Sony.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:11 AM   #8

I agree. Panasonic should look to improve the FZ series rather than invest big in DSLR which is, in my opinion, a more hermetic market than the prosumer one.
The FZ series may very easily outrun any other model on the market with little investment. I mean, it already has some definitively good things going for it that other manufacturers don't have.

And I also think, speaking for myself, that it is better to have movie capability as well. Nobody's asking for 10,000$ DSLR picture quality but, to be honest, the FZs can use some improvement in this area.

P.S. If I was in the market for DSLR (and I am not simply for the fact that it lacks features such as live preview and movie capability) I would go for the K-M 5D 'cuz that's one helluva camera for the price. And, with this in mind, I'm curious to see what Sony will make out of K-M technology.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:19 PM   #9

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Minolta Maxxum 5D with its CCD based IS. Their price has tumbled to about $600 inlcuding the 18-70mm lens.
There's a reason for the price drop, of course.

Konica-Minolta are pulling out of the camera business, so another well-respected name is abouit to vanish.

Some of their technology (unspecified) is to be taken over by Sony.

Yes, I know that's the reason for the drop. But Sony already committed to maintaining the mount and to become a major player in the DSLR market, so you're not really buying a betamax.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:08 PM   #10

Treemonkeys 2cents.

The new Pana DSLR will be a renamed Oly Evolt-330.
Pana wants to get into the dSLR market for one reason, MONEY. The profit margins are about 10% higher on dSLR's and the dSLR market is experiencing much more growth than the consumer digicam market. So it makes sense for Pana to jump on the band wagon.
My problem with the new Pana dSLR is the stupid 4/3rds system. The reason why this new format standard was introduced was to reduce the size of the camera body (this hasn't happened, look at the Canon 350D it is the same size as the E-300). More compact telephoto lenses but this comes at a price (have you seen the cost of these lenses!). While some nice tele lenses are available there is little in the way of real wide lenses, the Oly 7-14(14-28) costs $1800! A number of companies are now also making compact dSLR lenses for APS sized sensors this is making the advantage of 4/3rds obsolete.
The end result; no real advantage and a lot more cost!

Of course this is just my relatively uneducated opinion and there is always a chance that Pana will release something amazing and I will have to eat my words!

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote